Saparu festival in Bhaktapur

Bhaktapur Travel Blog

Kathmandu Valley is known as city of festivals - cultural festivals. This old heritage valley is divided in three major parts called Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur. Bhaktapur is an ancient city and it is kinda live museum where everything is like art, culture, old time tradition and so on. Among many things about Bhaktapur the festival is one thing that make me to visit Bhaktapur. The Sa-paru is a festival that I was waiting for years to see. This festival is concern about something religious and spiritual that soul of dead body to depart and safely land in heaven. Further this festival also known as day of freedom to shatter, joke, comedy, prides parade and many similar things about social, political, government etc etc.

Today is public holiday in Kathmandu valley and roads is relaxing so I went to Bhaktapur and reached at From the entrance I can see the crowd of visitors from within and outside of the Bhakatpur and aboard. Many tour agents are busy in bringing their group of tourists, parents are taking their childrens to the core, many girls and boys are around for festival fun. The festival is somtehing religious too and groups of people chanting something religious songs, playing tabla, flute, madal etc and they walk around in the core city of Bhaktapur. The stick dance is seems so famous here and we can see difference groups performing in every 10 minutes gap and go around the Bhaktapur. we followed them in inner part of core Bhaktapur where road is built of terracotta / brick and connected with many side alleys, cross road, piazza and temples, ponds and brick houses of 18th century preserved and newly built concrete buildings too. Some of old house has very nice wood carved windows and door ways. We walk thorugh narrow alleys to the courtyard and ended at durbar square it was almost 2 hours walk. We took lunch at temple restaurant just in front of main temple (five storied) from where we could see all the performance of the passer by performers. Overall we enjoyed the festival Sa-paru (GaiJatra).

Kathmandu1 says:
Ofcourse. This was the first time I did enter in inner part of Bhaktapur. It was wonderful experiance to following festival people with their tune and seeing places that I have never explored before. Normally Durbar Square and surround is wonderful to visit for a day. but festival time...
Posted on: Oct 05, 2012
jenniferhibbard says:
So interesting, San. Many wonderful details. I wasn't in Bhaktapur, unfortunately.
Posted on: Oct 01, 2012