Meeting of the travelers

Darwin Travel Blog

Pitching tent for first night on the road.

I had to do a bit of running around, breakfast, meet a guy about a sleeping bag and then check out of YHA before meeting Rick and our other travel companion.  He didn't know too much about where we were going to collect her etc but when Lisbeth arrived we had introductions and then she asked what time tomorrow we were leaving.  Umm, that would be today, now!

Obviously communication is a problem with Rick and I was glad I met him yesterday to discuss our plan.

We drove back to Elkes, where Lisbeth was staying, and collected her bags.  It sounded like she was pretty happy to be out of there anyway.  Next we fuelled up, did a food shop and hit the trail.  We were leaving the outskirts of Darwin at midday.  Pretty happy to be on the road.

First stop was Pine Creek.  Rick had come through this way earlier in the week so he wasn't enthusiastic about seeing too much.  Although he said he was in no hurry to get anywhere when we talked about travelling together he seemed keen to get some miles on the clock today.

Pine Creek, notable for its gold mine was asleep.  We went up to the lookout over the large hole left by the miners (now filled with water) but there was little to see.  We went back down to the village and wandered along the "walk through history" which was a series of ceramic tiles outlining the towns historical events.  This walk ended at the disused rail station where there were a number of caged engines and a couple of other things of interest to rail enthusiasts.

A few snaps and a play with a dog later and we were heading south to Katherine -stopped to refuel but nothing else and on dusk we found a free camp for the night.  Place was already well patronised by camper vans of varying size and value.  We pitched our tent and Rick cooked up a storm.

We chatted until about 9pm but I couldn't handle the cold any longer.  The night was long, cold and gravelly.  By morning I was happy to get up off the hard ground.

Coffee, breakfast, doxy and then Lisbeth joined Rick and I.  We packed up and hit the track again about 9am.  Beautiful morning.

goezi says:
Damn straight Dan. No good for us lanky 6+ footers.
Posted on: Sep 26, 2010
rotorhead85 says:
Sure wish I had my '76 VW camper when I was down that way - much easier than Kingswoods!
Posted on: Sep 21, 2010
Pitching tent for first night on t…
Pitching tent for first night on …
Darwin