Big round rocks

Devil's Marbles Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 4 › view all entries
Almost sunset behind me

We spent a lot of the day rolling along the road.  Much of the landscape the same; few words and a feeling that Rick had seen it all before and didn’t want to stop for anything again.


I found a couple of places of interest, one being a ghost town called Newcastle Waters.  Not a ghost to be seen and oddly enough there was a school and several other modern, occupied buildings in the collection that made the village.  Mostly it was a station stop with two entrances to cattle stations, one of which had a road train coming out of it as I stopped to explore an old abandoned general store that the national trust had spent some money on.  This, I guess was the “thing” that made it a ghost town.


Back on the road we passed through towns I though we might explore.  At Daily Waters we stopped for a pie and a photograph.  Lisbeth still showed an interest in some things that I took photos of and we chatted easily each time we stopped.


She told me she was waiting for the result of a beauty contest she had entered before she left home –expected on 16th I told her we would celebrate no matter the outcome.

Morning across the campsite


From Daily Waters we cut down to Tenant Creek.  I struggled to keep awake myself but fought hard.  I was helped when I put the Specials on the stereo.  Great band!  Rick had also put on the Clash so we had a good afternoon of music.


We got to the Devil’s Marbles about an hour before sundown and they were glowing a terrific red as expected.


Behind the field of boulders we found the campsite and paid our $9.  The toilet was frightening but we set up camp, cooked beans and sausages and then went to the campfire talk.


It was cold, REAL COLD.  I was starting to regret the decision to dump my jersey but I didn’t have the space anyway.  The campfire talk was done by the local park ranger and a native elder.  They spoke of the significance of the site and answered questions about indigenous culture.  It was an interesting hour, after which I chatted to Rick for a couple of hours then went to bed when I couldn’t handle the cold any more - 9.15pm.  Last night we slept under the tent alone and I watched the sun rise through the mesh above me.  Tonight there was no such romantic notions, it was all about staying warm and the fly was pinned in place securely over the tent for double skinned insulation –not that it helped much against the desert night but certainly better than mosquito mesh.


I arranged bruises on my bruises thanks to the hard rock ground we had pitched our tent on.  My bones just don’t have enough skin for this winter pup-tenting lark!

  Looking forward to tomorrow night when we’ll stay in a hostel in Alice Springs, with a bed and everything.



Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Almost sunset behind me
Almost sunset behind me
Local elder tells us of their hist…
Local elder tells us of their his…
Morning across the campsite
Morning across the campsite
Trying to warm up in the morning s…
Trying to warm up in the morning …
Devil's Marbles
photo by: Morle