St Petersburg

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

The Hermitage

We pulled into Finland station, famous for being the site of Lenin's reentry to Russia in 1917, rather late-- 8 or 9pm--and therefore it was entirely dark.  Stepping off the train was even more intimidating than stepping on-- there was a sudden awareness of just how obvious we were-- kind of like someone putting a bell jar down over me that separated 'us' from 'them.'  This was sealed by the giant statue of Lenin outside.  It was misting/drizzling, which gave all streetlights that pinkish halo glow but also meant that it was a miserable trip to hostel, which was on one three streets with the exact same name.  The hostel itself was pretty unsettling as well-- electronic keypad systems to cut down on theft... never a reassuring sign.

My sister had spent time in St Petersburg several years before so I was very very excited to be there.   Unfortunately, I did not get many good photographs as the city was preparing for its 300 year anniversary celebrations the following year and nearly everything was at least partially covered with scaffolding and net.

Inside the Hermitage