Salisbury

Salisbury Travel Blog

Time in Salisbury was short and mostly spent learning the rules of living/travelling en masse instead of checking out the town. We did find time to see Salisbury Cathedral (a wonderful example of Early English Gothic architecture, and particularly amazing as it was built in only 38 years), Stonehenge (what is there left to say about Stonehenge?), and Old Sarum (beyond being interesting to archaeologists on its own, Old Sarum was hosting a reenactment of the British military through the ages that weekend--a happy accident).

Salisbury was filled with first impressions of my travelmates. We were a very eclectic group-- primarily undergraduates but there were several students who already had their BA. East-coast, West-coast, Mid-West, Japanese.
Down to earth, high maintenance, gay, straight, Mormons, Catholics, Fundamentalist Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, and one alien (but we'll cover Prof 8000% at some other point). I had corresponded with several participants before hand and quickly discovered none were quite what I had expected. Everyone else had even more allure as I knew nothing about them. (For CTCHT, I did not contact anyone before hand and have found that that works best for me-- better to keep the exchange of basic info to fill up the first few days). Our professors were a varied crew as well: Gordon, who has devoted 30 years to teaching on study abroad programs, was our director and taught History and Political Science. Roy, an American transplant to Windsor Ontario, taught Western Religions--a departure from his eastern specialties. Jesse also stepped outside his usual studio art to teach History of Art and Architecture. Rounding out the group was Jeremy, who took care of our logistics and lodging and also brought the funk. soul and humor to our tableau.

After settling out the academic expectations of the program, we were off to London...
Salisbury