London

London Travel Blog

Houses of Parliament

London and Paris were the most punishing cities of the entire tour schedule-wise.  Lots of standing, lots of walking, lots of foraging for affordable food.  We managed to squeeze all of the major museums and sights into a very short five days.

CHANGING OF THE GUARDS, WESTMINSTER ABBEY, TOWER OF LONDON: Those obligatory things you have to do when you go somewhere like London-- In some ways one has to wonder whether the price to enjoyment ratio is really worth it, but it really does depend on how much of a tourist you really are.

BRITISH MUSEUM, NATIONAL GALLERY, THE TATE:  Incredible.  Leave all qualms about Elgin and colonial plundering at the door and just enjoy.  The National Gallery is a semester's worth of History of Art in one place-- plus it's right off of Trafalgar Square.

THE GLOBE THEATRE:  We went the Groundling route and stood for a performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream-- reworked with the forest players performing Pyramus and Thisbe in bathroom accoutrements.  Fun-- but go early to squeeze in near the front.

IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM:  Would not have gone to this on my own, but interesting none the less.  If I'm not mistaken, they have a smell-o-vision trench exhibit.

Gordon felt we needed to see some sort of theatre while we were there... so he chose what he considered to be the most "educational" offering-- Blood Brothers-- and lauded its praises with straight face.  It is actually the cheapest offering, and with good reason.  Twins separated at birth as a commentary on have and have not, narrarated by the devil.

..  NO SHOES ON THE TABLE!!!  We discovered later, after staying mum to avoid offending him, that it was kind of his trick on the group-he does it just to see whether we will admit to him how bad it was.

We stayed in the Hotel New Atlantic.  This was breifly known as Wake Up London!  and I believe is closed entirely now.  It was a rabbit warren of rooms-- I don't know that I found my way to my room the same way twice-- it reminded me of a ship with many short stairways leading to rooms that did not connect to any other hall etc etc.  Spartan rooms with metal bunks and electric turquoise paint and shared bathrooms.  An experience none the less.  Its best feature was its proximity to Knotting Hill, which was in the throes of carnival while we were there.  Lots of good Indian and Chinese food to be had, shopping and internet.  Worth a stop by if you're in that quarter of the city.

Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
NO SHOES ON THE TABLE!!!!!!... it …
NO SHOES ON THE TABLE!!!!!!... it…
London