Bergen Travel Blog

In a day trip from Oslo, we headed west to see the glacial fjords that make up the coast of Norway.  Our day began at 5:30 am catching a tram to the train station where we discovered that all the Oslo railway signal workers were on strike.  We were packed on buses that were to take us outside the city where we could catch a train from a connecting station.  This was the most luxurious train I've ever been on-- beautiful hardwood tables and plush seats.  It was also filled with handsome Italian bikers who were all very taken by Laura, my seat mate who looked a bit like Cate Blanchett right down to the white blonde hair.  We got smiled at a lot.

The interior of Norway incredibly beautiful-- from lush fields to stark scrub.  One of the most memorable images for me was a stream with water that was an creamy opaque blue from having run over oxidized copper deposits.  From this train we switched to a bus that took us to a much smaller scenic train that ran down to the water, stopping along the way for a photo op beside a waterfall. Before the boat, we broke for lunch and I had the ideal apple- firm and tart and crisp.  It is a strain that we do not grown or import in the United States and it was so perfect I actually avoided eating apples for over a year out of reverence for the memory of this specific one.  Jeremy went for his annual dip in the fjord and then we were on our way.

While there is an audio guide throughout the trip, the ride is best appreciated without it, just taking in the incredible beauty of inlets cut into the hills.  Everything looks and feels fresh--like there is no cleaner place on earth.  Following a few hours on the boat, we were let off at the other end of the fjord and took a bus back to the train, stopping along the way to look out over deep valleys cut by glacial erosion.  The rest of the day worked in reverse until we arrived back at the hostel around 11pm.  A day in transit that proves that you don't need a destination to enjoy the view.

photo by: CFD