Day 5 - Singapore

Singapore Travel Blog

the Lotus outside my hotel

Today was the day I've been waiting for... the zoo! The Singapore Zoo is suposed to be one of the best zoos in the world and then afterwards Erin and I were going to go to the Night Safari.

We got up as usual and had breakfast together and got Erin sent off to work, then I decided I'd go over to the plaza (mall) across the street to see if I could find a new book. Well to my suprise this plaza doesnt just specialize in knock off clothing but lazy employees as well. None of the stores opened until 11:00 at the earliest. I had to catch the bus to the zoo at a 11:00 so that wasnt going to work.

While waiting at the bus infront of the hotel I got to watch all the sweet cars come through that stay at our hotel. There was even a Lotus which I've never actually seen before, so I had to obviously get a picture taken with it.

View from Clarke Quay
Once the bus came it took about 30-45 minutes to get to the zoo. Of course on the way to the zoo the clouds kept getting darker and darker. Well by the time I got to the zoo it started pouring and I mean pouring. Their was thunder louder than I have ever heard. If I wasnt so angry that my trip was ruined it would have been a pretty cool site. So while walking around the entrance of the zoo (the small part that actually had cover) I came to the conclusion that I needed to get home because if the rain wasnt going to ruin the trip, the 5000 kids crying because of the storms was. When I asked someone when the bus was coming back they said 5:45.... it wasnt even 12:30 yet. So I talked to a few other people and got the phone number for the bus and called them and someone came and got me.
Walking around Clarke Quay

By the time I got back to the hotel it was still pouring, so I went back to the plaza to the book store. This was awesome because I had a few books in mind and the book store was about the size of a bedroom with shelves and shelves of book with no order. There was no organization between English books and other language, fiction and non fiction. So long story short I left and went to Borders.

By the time Erin got home it had stopped raining but was still cloudy so we thought we would wait on the Night Safari, we figured the animals wouldnt be out anyways due to the rain. Instead we headed down to Clark Quay, the place we went out the first night to go to the Singapore Food Festival.

Food Festival
Clark Quay looks like a big outdoor shopping mall but filled with restaurants, bars and clubs. It's a really nice place to walk around and see both locals and tourists, it is right on the river and all the buildings are lit up at night so it it's really pretty. We walked around the food festival and tried a few differents styles of foods. You got a card that you would put money on and each stand would charge that card, each place was maybe three dollars. Erin really liked this Korean lettuce wrap and my favorite was probably the indian curry.

After eating we walked around a looked at the shops that were around Clark Quay and enjoyed the scenery. There was Morrocan place that had a belly dancer so we stayed and watched her for awhile, pretty sure I could do it... Then I convinced Erin to try the hookah at another Morrocan place which was pretty amuzing.

food festival