NYC - Day 1

New York Travel Blog

Grand Central Station
Today was an early day and would be a LONG one. I was up at 3:30 AM which was way too early as I only got about 4 hours of sleep, but these are the sacrifices you make when traveling. My ride showed at 4:30 and I was waiting and ready to go. By 5, I was at Minneapolis/St. Paul's (MSP) International Airport's Terminal 2 (formerly known as the Humphrey Terminal). I had already checked-in online the night before, but I decided to pay the $35 and check my bag since I would have time to wait when I got to JFK. After checking my bag and getting through security, it was time to play the waiting game at the gate. Luckily, I only had about an hour to wait for boarding. Boarding went smoothly, but its amazing to see what size bags people carry-on these days due to the fees. In my opinion, IF airlines want to charge a bag fee, they should charge it for carry-ons and checked bags should be free! Anyway, on to New York which as I mentioned to a friend a few days earlier, the Big Apple appeared to be becoming the "Baked" Apple due to the incredible heat.
Don't you get it? Do not enter!
I arrived at JFK about 10 AM, but needed to wait for my TravBuddy to arrive, so I got to listen to Air JFK and their fascination with 80's music for a couple hours while debating between Dunkin Donuts or Doritos for a snack. Hmmm....tough choice, but the latter won. My friend's flight was a bit delayed, but once he arrived we found our way to the AirTrain. After a couple of wrong turns and choices, we ended up at Jamaica Station and hopped on the subway bound for 33th and Park. Once there, we found our way to the Hotel Thirty Thirty only a few blocks away. Check-in was a breeze and we were soon taking a break in our room. It was now about 2 PM. Plenty of time to go see some sights, so we started walking. We walked up Park Ave to Grand Central Station, over to Rockefeller Plaza and on to Times Square!
the_bill says:
Alyssa - part of Times Square is more pedestrian, but not all of it.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2010
alyssa_ob says:
I agree with you on charging for carry ons - not checked bags. But then maybe the airlines would lose even more luggage if we didn't pay for their safe arrival ;)

Is Times Square a pedestrian only zone yet? I thought it was, but then it looks like there are yellow cabs in the photo.
Posted on: Jul 19, 2010
the_bill says:
Thanks Matt!
Posted on: Jul 17, 2010
Grand Central Station
Dont you get it? Do not enter!
Don't you get it? Do not enter!
No Standing Anytime!