Great Expectations ???

Venice Travel Blog

Doge's Palace Courtyard

Got up and ready to go and decided to a bit of proper sightseeing today. Getting more acquainted with the streets around us we walked down to the Grand Canal to get the vapereto at  Ca D'Oro. It's only the number 1 bus that stops here and it was packed, and made for a rather unpleasant trip down the canal. Did have the rather unusual sight of a boat with a coffin sitting on it overtaking us as we sailed down towards the piazza San Marco.

Again as we got off here it was the same throng of people, and I started to get the feeling that, for me, this was going to be like Barcelona, been and seen it, but wouldn't rush to go back. Entering the square you could see the big queues for the Basilica San Marco and for the Doge's Palace. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea we decided to join the queue for the palace.

Upstairs In Doge's Palace
The line did move much quicker than I expected and we were soon in the ticket office.

Went to pay for the tickets using a card, and was told it was cash only. One of the major attractions in Venice doesn't accept plastic, but the tat stalls in the street in the Rialto Market do. Something amiss with all that :D  ï»¿There was a big no photos sign as well :( but I ignored that as much as I could, only in the big open areas did I feel I couldn't get away with it, as they were quite alert, not just with cameras, but with folk looking like they were playing with their mobile phones.

First bit youcome to is basically just some old pillars, quite ornate, but only so many you can look at before the fascination wears off.

Prison Courtyard
Coming out of there though you step out into the fantastic inner courtyard. Spent a short while checking it out, before crossing over it and into the main bit of the palace. Some of the rooms in it are quite stunning, especially the assembly chambers, but there were a lot of interesting little side rooms with loads to see. Liked the paintings with the Lion Of St Mark's in them, and that symbol appeared also on a lot of things.

Didn't do the audio tour, as we had a guide book and read it as we went along. The first of the two large rooms the Sala Del Collegio had great paintings on the ceilings and near the end you come to the second The Chamber Of The Great Council that could hold up to 1500 people. From here we headed down through the armory and over the Bridge Of Sighs and down to the prison.

|Looking Out From Bridge Of sighs
I was expecting a better view from the bridge, but hey ho you can't have everything. Trapsed round the prison cells and courtyard and back up the steps and over the other side of the Bridge Of Sighs. I have a limited time span where things like this keep me interested, but I enjoyed the Doge's Palace and hardly noticed the two and a half hours going by :O. Some really interesting bits of history in there.

After stocking up on drinks again, we went and waited to go into Basilica San Marco. Again the queue kept moving forward, a lot to do with so many folk having waited getting turned away because they had bags. Any large bags or haversacks have to be checked in at a left luggage bit just along from the enterance. You also have to be appropriately dressed, and having brought a a long sleeve cotton top out with me I did a quick change in the queue, less I fall foul of the local police again :D.

Even The Police In Venice Get Lost
 Women can go in with vest tops on, but are directed to the side to get a cover for their shoulders, which cost €1 for what basically looked like a cheap paper table cloth restaurants would use.

The outside of the Basilica is really impressive and ornate, pity the inside left me so underwhelmed. Not quite sure why ? Maybe compared to the outside it doesn't match up, or the fact that it gothic but doesn't come close to the cathedral in Sevilla. Anyway the place managed to hold my attention for about 10 minutes before I had had enough. Decided we'd had enough of queueing, so skipped going up the bell tower, since it was destroyed and rebuilt in 1906 with a lift it seemed cheating. Not a proper bell tower unless you have to climb all the way to the top ;)

Since it was only me that had gone to the Rialto brige already we made for there.

Murano Chandelier
As we were walking through the narrow streets, generally just following the signs for the station, we came across a sight that made us feel much better. There were two cops obviously lost and studying a map :D . You don't want to be to blatant taking pictures while you are laughing at cops with guns, but I managed.

Got to the Rialto and crossed over and had a wander round the market, and bought some touristy stuff this time for taking back. Spent about an hour around Rialto before decideing to head for Murano.If I'd ever heard of Murano Glass before it must never have sunk in, but my wife wanted to see it , so we walked from Rialto back up to the vapereto stop next to the apartment was,passing by canal 'roadworks' :O, and caught the boat out past the cemetery island, to Murano.

Ice Cream At Last
Were't sure where to get off, so we just picked a stop at random.

Really far from the madding crowd out here, and it was lovely walking down the deserted streets. It was late afternoon, so we didn't have time to go into any of the glass factories, but did take a gander round some of the shops and saw the amazing things they can do with glass. The only thing that was as amazing as the artwork were the amazing prices :O. Wish we'd done it sooner to go to one of the factories, and if there ever is a next time, it'll be top of my list of things to do .

Caught a boat heading back to Fondamente Nove, and stopped and bought ice cream there. Not particularly significant but it was my first success in four years of actually getting to eat an ice cream cone .

Sunset On Holiday
The last twice I was first attacked by a seagull the came from behind me and landed on my shoulder :O, and the second time my son dropped his and I had to give mine up :(. After that I gave up on ice cream until now :D

Went back to the apartment and relaxed for a bit and had a couple of beers before heading out for dinner, our last for this holiday. Went to a nearby restaurant back up on the Fondamente Nove, which was really more of a pizzeria than a restaurant, but had again been recommended by the guy that showed us to the apartment. It was OK, and while three went for pizza, I chose the lamb loin chops just to different.

Headed back after the meal and threw as much as possible into the rucksacks, since we had to be out of the apartment for 10am next day, before the cleaner arrived.

huibdos says:
yes, cleaners carry terrible diseases:)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2010
Courtyard Clock
Courtyard Clock
Statue In Doges Palace
Statue In Doge's Palace
Looking Back Across Courtyard In D…
Looking Back Across Courtyard In …
Golden Staircase
Prison in Doges Palace
Prison in Doge's Palace
Cell Bed
Cell Bed
Cell Door. How Small Were They ?
Cell Door. How Small Were They ?
Statue Of Saint Theodore