Taste of Chicago and Navy Pier

Chicago Travel Blog

Art Institute of Chicago

We start our day with a trip to the Boys Town neighborhood on Halsted St. We have a late breakfast at a local restaurant Nookies Too in Lincoln Park. Great choice, staff is very efficient and the food was great. I had crab cakes (not your usual breakfast) and Michelle, a Greek salad. We do a little window shopping and wander the neighborhood for the rest of the morning, From here we take the loop downtown.

By the time we get to "Taste of Chicago" it is really hot out. We buy a couple of ticket strips and grab a beer to refresh ourselves. Unfortunately our only choice here is Bud or Bud Light, neither of which are high on my list of beers. But beer's beer and we're hot and thirsty.

Taste of Chicago
We decide to walk through the event before we choose the tastes we want to try. It's really hot and there is no shade, and the vendors are lining the sides of Columbus Drive which is closed for the event. I know that the vendors are all taking the necessary precautions with preparing and serving food but it's just so unappetizing to eat in this heat and nothing looks appealing to us. We do try a couple of small items, but decide to spend the rest of our tickets on beer, then head to Navy Pier which should be cooler.

You know how when you're in the city, and you can see where you're going and it's only a short distance away, so you walk and walk and walk, and it's still not closer? Pedicab to the rescue! He wants $15 to take us to the pier, but we negotiate $10 - since it's just over there! After seeing how far it really is, and how hard Chris has to peddle we give him his $15 plus a good tip.

It was well worth it!

We've both been to Navy Pier many times so we decide to try the Architecture River Cruise. THe boat is open and there's not much shade other than from the buildings along the riverbank, but it's cooler and of course, they serve beer, so we can relax and refresh.

The tour is great, and I highly recommend it. I've taken the one that travels along Lake Michigan which tells some great Chicago stories before, and this one is similar in style. The narration is done by a live person, (I hate the garbled recorded ones). He's funny and informative with lots of Chicago history and details about the buildings. Plus I get to try and take some interesting pictures. Luckily, I think I got a few really good ones.

After the tour we stop for another beer inside at Harry Caray's Tavern at Navy Pier.

Sitting at the bar we strike up some conversations with other visitors and enjoy an hour or so until dinner.

For dinner, we are meeting Lindsay at Roditys Restaurant in Greektown. Shirley had decided not to come. She was exhausted from the heat and all the walking at Taste of Chicago which Michelle and I certainly understand. We probably wouldn't of made it either if we had stayed at the event all day. Thank goodness we decided to spend the afternoon at the pier instead. Nina has other plans for the evening which means it's just Lindsay, Michelle and me for dinner.

Once again, we let Lindsay order and he makes excellent choices. The food is great of course, but more importantly, we enjoy wonderful conversation getting to know our new TravBuddy.

After dinner, Lindsay offers to escort us to another bar in the area we are staying. We take a bus to the loop station, and the train to the Lincoln Square neighborhood. Lindsay knows the owner, but unfortunately he isn't there that night. But that's okay, we just have another beer and talk for a while, but it's been a long day and we're tired, so home it is.

Thanks to Lindsay for another enjoyable evening.

Michelle
Sculpture in Grant Park
Sculpture in Grant Park
Chicago harbour
Chicago harbour
Our waiter at Roditys Restaurant i…
Our waiter at Roditys Restaurant …
Michelle and me after a long day d…
Michelle and me after a long day …
Chicago