Gay Pride Parade

Chicago Travel Blog

Dim sum to start the day

Michelle and I stayed an extra day since the Gay Pride Parade was on Sunday. Amber and Michael had insisted this worth staying for and we were not disappointed.

We started our day with brunch at the Phoenix in China Town. Michael left early to watch the soccer game before brunch, so Michelle, Amber and I made our way to Chinatown on our own. However, we no sooner left the townhouse when a huge thunderstorm rolled in. Unfortunately none of us have an umbrella so we snatch up a newspaper to over our heads while we race to the train station. Great - I hate it when my hair gets wet, it never looks good after it dries, and it's parade day - rain go away!

We make it to Phoenix just in time for the rain to stop, literally, as soon as we reach the restaurant it clears up and blue skies are on the horizon.

Well at least the parade will go on in good weather and the rain will take some of the heat and humidity out of the air.

Phoenix is great and we all enjoyed another wonderful meal together. There are lots of things to choose from and I don't mind trying new things. The only item I really didn't care for were the chicken feet. They were okay, but I wouldn't bother with them again, there's too many things I'd rather eat.

After brunch five of us pile into Andy's little tiny car and head to the parade! Of course we can't find a parking space so Michael and Andy let us girls out so we can watch while they troll for one. (they parked so far away they had to take a cab back to where we were!) I'm a little worried since the parade started over an hour ago and I just know it will be almost over by the time we get there, never did I expect it to go on for another four hours. Now I understand why no one was in a hurry.

Lucky us, we find a great spot, under a small tree so there's some shade, and although squished together, we're right up front. The parade is wild, unbelievable, hysterical . . . what a fun day!

After the parade we go to a condo right on the corner where some of Amber & Michael's friends live. They cook hamburgs and brats plus there's lots of other munchies. Everyone enjoys some food and drink while they get to know each other. Another great day in Chicago!

Dikes on Bikes