Southern hospitality at Smileys hollow....

Nashville Travel Blog

Another early start – these are becoming the norm! Breakfast with Wayne Hulbert, the first Vice President of the AFS –he is from Laramie, Wyoming and works on stream habitat restoration at the University there.

First session was on Water Scarcity in Western North America, and there were some interesting presentations on flow and salmon – adult migration, spawning and early rearing effects of flow and climate change. A paper on groundwater storage in the Mattole headwaters proposed the value of beaver dames in protecting river flows (and also coho salmon)…hmmm!

After the break I attended the Freshwater Fish ecology symposium  where I particularly wanted to see a paper entitled “In search of the holy grayling”. This was about arctic grayling in Alaska, and there were some interesting survey problems including frozen rivers in May and getting to survey sites by helicopter. When the rivers melted the water temperature was 1.5 degrees C and the survey team was faced with the problem of carrying out scuba surveys in such cold water –they solved this by using students….they seem to have similar problems to us in sampling grayling – and found that dry fly worked a lot better than electrofishing. They were looking for graduate volunteers to carry on the work – I nearly volunteered!!

As the Trade show was due to finish at 2pm, I took the opportunity to tour round and promote the IFM Conference – I doubt whether any of the exhibitors will make it across but suggested inserts in delegate packs – those I spoke to (including Halltech, HTI, Lotek, NMT and OMI (Didson) sounded keen). Also when I spoke to EMCO I discovered that their UK rep (Hydrosphere) was already attending.

Final session of the day was Population Dynamics. An interesting presentation by Kai Lorenzen (of Imperial College) on a population dynamics model of hatchery enhanced fisheries which may be relevant to the UK. The subsequent paper was on comparison of smolt migration and residualization  between wild and stocked steelhead trout – again with some relevance to the UK.

For the evening we all (about 1200!!) embarked on coaches for the short trip to Smileys Hollow, where we were fed delicious barbequed fod , drank as much beer as we wanted and were entertained by a band. AN excellent evening and the highlight if the week in terms of activities.

photo by: eurowestgirl