Conference starts..

Nashville Travel Blog

Woke early and went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. My waiter was probably the most un-emotional person I’ve ever met – in fact, he may even have been a robot. How-are-you-today…..would-you-like-the-buffet….do-you-want-coffee….decided to demonstrate Britishness by making bacon butties…very nice.

Walked off the breakfast calories by another sight seeing walk around downtown Nashville – past the state capitol, war memorial and public parks. Even though it was Sunday morning, some of the honky tonk bars were open and playing music.

Returned to the hotel to prepare for my brief addresses to the two AFS meetings this afternoon – Fisheries Administration and Fisheries Management. Haven’t seen anyone I know yet – and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of attendees here –but early days. Everyone seems to carry laptops round with them under their arms and sit picking up emails.

This afternoon I was invited to speak at the Fisheries Administration section and later at the Fisheries Management Section. The latter was better attended. I gave the attendees a brief overview of fisheries issues in the UK - the Water Framework directive, salmon, legislation changes, hydropwer and the funding issues together with the uncertain political situation.

It was interesting that throughout both meetings I picked up common threads - fisheries professionals in the US have the same sort of issues as we do in the UK, which makes these exchanges all the more important to maintain. I was made very welcome at both meetings, and renewed my acquaintance with Ron Essig (who attended IFM in 2008), Dale Burkitt (2007) and Fred Harris (2001). I also met Bob Curry who will be attending Stratford.

So now I am sitting in the Bridge Bar, listening to some lovely alto saxophone playing and waiting for the Welcome social which starts in the Grand Ballroom later, and then moves on to to the Ryman Auditorium where there will be music...its a hard life....

Fantastic social, excellent food and then we moved across to the Ryman auditorium (the original Grand Old Opry) where we were entertained firstly by a trio of fisheries people who played bluegrass (very professional), and then by ‘Sixwire’ – 5 musicians who had played with many country music bands and now played as themselves. They were excellent and finished with a medley of songs including Zeppelin, Stones, ACDC, Kansas, Beatles – you name it and it was there. An excellent end to the evening.

photo by: eurowestgirl