All the fun of the conference....

Nashville Travel Blog

Early start as the Conference begins at 8 am. Breakfast in the Club lounge with view overlooking Nashville – complimentary continental breakfast. I could get used to this….

The morning session was a mixture of papers and awards. During the session I bumped into the redoubtable Professor Ian Cowx (as you do).

Lunch is not part of the arrangements here so I went for a walk and bumped into Bob Curry, Chief of the North Carolina Wildlife Commission and we went to Jacks for lunch. The barbecued pork and beans were delicious but I dread to think what I will weigh on my return.

In the afternoon there were 16 parallel sessions – after some thought I went for the one on Fish Passage. There was some really interesting stuff on upstream and downstream migration. The final paper outlined current developments in turbine design, including modified Kaplan turbines to make them more fish friendly – by reducing the gap between the blade and the turbine, and by increasing the thickness of the blade. Testing is currently planned for 2010-2011.

The trade show and poster session are now open, and tonight I’m off to the Trade show social. After that I will probably be going to BB Kings Blues club, which has been recommended as the place to go….

Nashville