A pleasant afternoon

Utrecht Travel Blog

Restaurants at the wharfs

In April of this year (2008) the drugstore had this special offer of weekend traintickets, for 10 euro, no matter what the destination was. So I bought some of them, with the intention to have a nice day with the family. But hubby always has some excuse, and because the tickets expire by the end of June it was about time to use them.
So my daughter and me went for Utrecht to have a coffee at "de Werven" (the wharf's), and for a nice walk through the old streets.

After a lazy morning, (which hubby did not understand at all, but it is only half an hour on train to Utrecht :P) we arrived at Utrecht Station at 1 PM. I have never been to that side of the Utrecht Central station, the Hoog-Catharijne shopping mall, and it is really nice.

Market day

But we came for the town, and some coffee ofcourse, so we went on, leaving the mall entering the old town.
Very nice, pedestrian zone streets, and it was market day as well, which in Utrecht means: Lots of FLOWERS! It is paeony time, the stalls were loaded with them, as well as lots of other flowers, a.o. roses and lysianthus.
After just a 5 minute walk while sniffing up the sweet fragrance of the flowers we reached the Oudegracht (Old canal), thus the wharf's, where we found us a nice place to sit at the canal and had our coffee.

The "Betje Boerhave" grocery museum was on my "to-do" list, so we headed for the old places and streets like "Neude". "Teylingstraat" en "Slachtstraat" naar "Het Hoogt" where the shop/museum was.

At Google Earth I saw that there was a special flowermarket on the "Janskerkhof", which was only a bit further.
The bouquet I made from the flowers I could not resist buying
And what a nice market that is, so totally different from the "tourist attraction Amsterdam Singel Flowermarket".
Here were all kind of cut flowers, greenhouse plants, perennials and annuals, bi-annuals too ofcourse, and most cutflowers were cheaper than on the market at the town center. So I was tempted by the offers.
Then I came across a stall with really cheap ones, these were not the common type you see at every flower shop or market, it was the old fashioned ones, like Love-in-a-mist, Stock, Cornflowers, Ox-eye daisies, and more; I could not resist this one, so bought 5 bunches to make myself a big, big bouquet.
We headed back to the station with an armfull of flowers, had another coffee at Hoog-Catharijne, and hopped on the train back to Amsterdam.

Suusj says:
Hi, gefeliciteerd met je feature :-).
Posted on: Jun 20, 2012
Dr_Seuss says:
Congrats on today's feature Tineke :)
Posted on: Jun 19, 2012
monky says:
Congrats on your featured blob! nice one:)
Posted on: Jun 19, 2012
Market day
The bouquet I made from the flower…
The bouquet I made from the flowe…
Lisianthus