T-Minus One Day to Central America

Rockville Travel Blog

Belize's flag! Actually, this was taken on our last night in the country, in Caye Caulker
After as much traveling as I have done, you'd think I'd learn by now. After packing and repacking I still had too much stuff. New countries, irregular weather patterns and a very busy June combined to make preparing for this trip a lot more time-consuming than I had anticipated. Nonetheless, we squeezed everything into decent-sized daypacks and eventually felt satisfied that we were ready.

Quite a lot had changed since the last time I did any international traveling, or really any significant travel. Full time job, several extra pounds, more bills. But here we were--I with my oath tattooed on my brain that I would travel to at least one, preferably two, foreign countries each year in my new life of employment, and Mark, never having ventured further abroad than Quebec--ready to embark on a new adventure together. Would I succumb to the rigors of tropical heat and steep inclines? Would Mark like traveling? Could he put up with me? Well, I guess it would be an adventure either way. Besides, the tickets had long since been line items on my credit card bill.

Catching up at work was an exercise in nerve management, with frayed knots and loose ends begging to be tied before I left it all behind. To make matters more frenetic, there was so much to do at home that we didn't get to bed until after midnight. The salvation for me was waiting on the other side of the Caribbean.
Belizes flag! Actually, this was …
Belize's flag! Actually, this was…
photo by: Andy99