Return home begins

Tamarindo Travel Blog

Tamarindo airport

The trip home begins.  It has been a great trip, but two weeks is still long and it will be good to get home, but definitely looking forward to a return trip to Costa Rica.  Richard called us a cab this morning that took us to the Tamarindo airport.  Unfortunately we must have missed the memo that said our flight had been changed.  It was scheduled at 11:00 but then changed to 12:00.  So we had an extra hour of sitting in the heat.  Of course plenty of lizards and iguanas would stop by and climb around the terminal, very appropriate for our send off.

When it was time to go a worker approached me asking for a tip from an hour ago when we got out of our taxi.  I do understand the service and everything, however when we arrived in the taxi I insisted that I carry my own bag.

Iguana in the airport. Sweet
  “lo tengo, lo tengo.”  I know I don’t have perfect Spanish but I feel I was quite clear I did not want any help and it was almost a battle, so finally he carried it the 30 feet.   So when he asked for a tip I spoke very plainly, I did not want help before, I told him no, so I would not give him a tip.  He did not put up a fight, I think he completely understood what I was saying.  Normally if someone asks me for a tip a just cave in and give them something.  But after two weeks, part of me felt that some people know, if tourists don’t know the language or are unsure of a situation we will give them a tip if they push for it.  I had to stand my ground, which doesn’t normally happen.

We had a full flight of 12 people to Liberia, then continued to San Jose.

View departing Tamarindo
  A cab got us to our hotel for $15.  Again we are in the Clarion Amon which is apparently in a rougher part of town.  Our driver told us there were a lot of immigrants from Colombia and Dominican Republic who don’t have as much respect for the law.  Just before reaching the hotel we passed 7 police officers in one block. . . enough for you to notice.  We also did not realize our hotel had a small casino, and just like all the banks we saw, they had a guard with a shotgun standing at the door.  Don’t mess with them.

Considering our conversation with the cab drivers we decided not to venture around and to just stay in the hotel for the afternoon.  We did cross the street for a shop but otherwise enjoyed the pool and got our things in order.  We would have a 4am wake up call to get us to the airport tomorrow so the night was going to be short.

Iguana in the airport.  Sweet
Iguana in the airport. Sweet
View departing Tamarindo
Liberia airport.  Small for an int…
Liberia airport. Small for an in…
Tamarindo