Hills, hills and more hills!

Carmen Travel Blog

Driving northward, we finally reached one of the country's greatest treasures - the Chocolate Hills. These are dome-shaped, grass-covered limestone hills and are considered as a Philippine National Geological Monument.

We drove up to the viewing spot - this was actually one hill that was developed as a viewing center. Souvenir shops surround the place, and a stairway leading to the ultimate viewing area was one rough climb for my 3-year old. But tough as he is, he was able to climb the 200 or so steps! Wow, what an achievement! But not for me. Climbing the way up almost washed my excitement away . Whew! That was tough, hehe. But all the tension was gone when we reached it and all I could say was wow... I almost couldn't believe I was standing amidst the 1,268 haycock hills, which do not in any way resemble chocolate at that time. They were more like moss to me, 'cause they're green, haha.

We would have wanted to stay much longer at this spot. But dark clouds hovered and at times I could feel tiny raindrops pouring. Better be going! We paved our way down through this winding road at the other side. (We took the stairs when we went up). W could see hills and more hills as we moved down.

Note: I liked this map thing of this blog. I could see there's a shorter way going to Bohol from Southern Leyte.Via Cebu is longer but it's the conventional route. Perhaps next time I could take that road less traveled!

adrian ready to climb up?
adrian ready to climb up?
roadside view