Having fun in stunning North Wales!

Snowdonia Travel Blog

They say Wales is God's country and although being from Wales makes me a little biased, I must say that a weekend in North Wales really did hit it home for me! The lush scenery is an absolute delight and as we had fantastic weather, I was excited to be exploring my homeland.

We went to North Wales because I had booked John on a white water rafting experience for Christmas '08 as I had been before and loved it. It seems these days that the best weather now falls between April and May and then again in September. The traditional sunny summer months of July and August have given way to floods and almost monsoon like conditions in the UK the last few years. So, September seemed like a good time of the year to venture up north! We drove up on the Friday night after we had both finished work and although it was dark for most of the journey, the trip was a very scenic one, travelling through the Welsh countryside.

I had booked us into a Bala backpackers for two nights and as we arrived, we realised that there was a festival happening in the town so there was a real party atmosphere. We were a tad tired by this point so we didn't take part in the festivities but grabbed supper from the local chip shop and went to bed.

The next morning, we woke early as John had to be at the white water rafting centre by 9 am. It was a chilly morning but a sunny one so we knew we were in for  a great day. While John got changed into his wet suit and had is safety brief, I went found a good spot to take photos of his experience. The rafters were all packed into a large inflatable raft and had at least four runs down the rapids. It looked like great fun and as I had already been white water rafting as a teenager in the very same centre, I was quite happy to stay warm and dry and take photos from the bank while clutching a hot cup of coffee.

Rafting done, we went for a drive up to Snowdonia. We did look into getting the train to the summit but all booked out for the day so we drove around the area ouselves, stopping now and again to take photos of the wonderful sights. North Wales is a really photogenic place and we were so lucky with the sunny sky as we could take some smashing shots.

The next morning, we decided to take a trip to portmeirion and the location for where the tv series 'The Prisoner' was filmed for the day before heading home in late afternoon. What a stunning place Portmeirion is! As the sun beat down on our backs we had a fabulous day walking around the quaint and quirky mini-town. It is a definate must see if you are ever in North Wales.

So, a great weekend in North Wales that is highly recommended indeed, especially if you can go when the weather is at it's best!