On the fence

Oak Creek Travel Blog

So, I'm really on the fence about Antigua or Guatemala City.

I've found accommodations in both places ranging from 300-450 USD a month, so within my budget range, but I'm faced with the reality that despite the fact I would love to stay in Antigua because of the locale, it's also a very small, very touristy place, and while I love close access to the outdoors I'm also a bit of a sucker for the amenities of a city. With that in mind, I'm really, really leaning towards my original thought of doing Guatemala City for January, February and March of 2011, rather than Antigua.

The crux of it really falls down upon the fact that I love cities, and if I want to do the whole Antigua thing I can always boogie down there for a week-long stay here and there for closer access to the volcanoes and other things. Meanwhile, I can have my base of operations in Guatemala City where all the amenities I'm used to will still be there.

I haven't finalized my choice yet. Rent is definitely cheaper in Antigua, and it would probably be quieter, but I'm also concerned that I will get bored with spending 3 months in such a small, tourist-oriented place. I mean, you can walk around the whole city in a day and see all there is to see, and I think I would much rather be in the city where there is plenty of nightlife and cafes to hang out in when I'm not working/exploring.
Oak Creek