Some progress

Oak Creek Travel Blog

Colorado ranch
First steps of the journey are mapped out so far. As of this morning I've booked my ticket on October 1st as well as reserved my room for October, November and December in Cancun, with the option to extend depending on if I enjoy myself. I'm not sure how long it will take me to explore all of the ruins within the Yucatan, but with the beach as well I figure I should have plenty to do in three months while on a working holiday, and if I need more time I can stay for up to 6 months on my passport, according to the Mexican Embassy in Denver when I called last week.

One of my concerns was booking a one-way ticket into the country. I know in the past there have been a couple of times when I've had difficulties getting into a country without a one-way ticket, and if not for lenient flight agents and customs officials I could probably have been out some serious pocket money with situations where they force you to buy a return ticket.
Colorado ranch
But considering this is a "backpacking" trip -- that is, I'm only taking my backpack and my laptop and basically just going country to country -- I think it's something I'm just going to have to deal with. I've never done a trip like this before, so I'm sure there will be a couple of times I might have to haggle with officials over the fact that I don't have an exit ticket because I won't always know when I'm flying out of a certain country, and in some cases I might be taking a bus.

However, the Mexican Embassy told me that, at least in the case of Mexico, "not to worry". He said if they ask just tell them you are staying for 3- 4 months in Cancun and then moving on and they shouldn't have a problem. Whether or not that remains true is yet to be seen, because I've seen differences before in what the Embassy tells you and what the customs agents decide when you are at the border.
Colorado ranch

In any case, the first stage seems to be set for October 1st. Still basically 2.5 months until that point, which means more time to work and get more money in the savings before I head out. Also more time to plan for any vaccinations I might need for further down the road, get my entire visa requirements list ready (although it's looking like only Brazil requires one, as long as I stay for the maximum allotment of days on my passport, which is 2-3 months depending on the country, and not every destination is going to have 2-3 months of things for me to do), and start looking for accommodations in the next hub. Pretty sure Belize will be next after Mexico, and then Guatemala after that. More to come as I finalize more plans :)
Added some photos of the family ranch where I'm spending the summer.

And I think the reason the dates on the journal entries were screwy is because I didn't see the date options :) Still figuring out the publishing platform here! Got it straightened out now!
Colorado ranch
Colorado ranch + Andalusian Shephe…
Colorado ranch + Andalusian Sheph…
Oak Creek