AsiaIndiaChennai

Day 6 - Chennai

Chennai Travel Blog

5th graders

Last night at dinner, Erin mentioned to Padma and her husband where her office was located, then later in the night Padma invited me to come back to her school before we left India. At the end of the night Padma and her husband walked us out and told our driver the best way to get to our hotel, since we got a little lost on the way. Then they started talking in Tamil and before I knew it, Padma said that Erin's office was right down the street so tomorrow when the driver drops her off, he could just drop me off at school. So I had tomorrow (today) all planned for me!

I got to Padma's school a little after 8:30 just in time to see all the students arriving. They were all very excited to see me again and all wanted their turn to say "how are you" and shake my hand.

5th grade boys - no matter what country you go to, I think it's easy to pick out students that are the goofy ones
Once school started everyone went to the roof top to do prayer. This was really interesting to watch because all the grades got in lines and they chanted a prayer together, which I later found out had to do with keeping peace, bringing wealth and feeding the hungry. It was something that I will always remember.

Once prayer was over, all the students went to their classes and I followed Padma to the 5th grade class. She walked me up to the front and gave me a pile of teacher's manuals and said I could use whatever I wanted. She wanted me to start teaching right off the bat! I browsed through a few books and kind of made an agenda and went for it. This was really fun because it was a lot like teaching some of my students. We worked a lot on oral language and grammer.

2nd graders

Teaching here was a whole new experience, it is A LOT different than Mr. Hockman's classroom that's for sure. It was a learning experience for the students and for me. I had to take in consideration that in her class, when you knew the answer you were supposed to stand up and say it, that it was a "say and repeat" class, where she would say something and they would repeat it. It was also hard for me to take in that when someone was goofing off, it was okay for someone else to smack them across the head. The students also had a learning experience with me as well. While I was there, we started off practicing NOT blurting out the answer and either standing or raising their hands. We did a lot of direct instruction things where I would stand up in front and they would repeat after me, but we also did a few games that I like to do in my classroom and the students and teacher's thought it was a riot.

1st graders
This was definitely a highlight of my trip so far.

After eaching lunch with Padma and a few other teacher's I noticed it was 1:00 so I had to get going because I had to mail some things back home before the day was over. So we said our good byes and the students wanted to know if I was coming back next week, but I had to inform them that I wasnt.

Once Erin got home we had some long waiting shopping to do. She was not going to leave this country without shopping. We ended up walking around the outlet style malls that were by our hotel. The shopping here is something like we have never experienced. As soon as you walk in someone is next to you ready to help. This was nice but annoying at the same time. Everything was pre-packaged, if you liked one shirt, they would pull out 50 others that were similar and unwrap them. Before you know it you would have 100 shirts all over the counter, then we would feel bad ecspecially when we didnt buy anything! Also it was nice because if you found something you liked and it didnt fit exactly right, then they would hem it for you for free and it would be done in less than 10 minutes.

After a few hours, I would say Erin got her share of shopping done and I did as well so we ended the night, but before we did I had to have Erin try a coconut from a street vendor. This was really funny because she was more worried about the guy chopping his hand off then anything. Once she got her coconut she drank the water and was so-so on it but then she tried the gooey stuff inside and I think almost threw up in the street. Ah good times, but at least she tried something new!

5th graders
5th grade boys - no matter what co…
5th grade boys - no matter what c…
Chennai