Passport craziness...

Miami Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 1 › view all entries

What a mission getting the passport was!  How the National Passport agency works is that you can call an automated message system and attempt to make an appointment, luckily you can call 24 hours a day.  So after trying during normal and somewhat abnormal hours I became desperate, so I started calling them on my way home from going about 3 am, 5 am and another time at 6...still nothing.  So after drunk-dialing the Passport agency I decide the only way I was going to get it was to go in person.  In the south there are only two regional passport agencies you can go to, thank god one was in Miami.  So on a lovely Thursday I woke up early (6am) and went downtown, figuring it opens at 8 and I was fine.  I laugh now at the thought. 

When I arrived, I saw a line...I walked around the corner and saw that the line continued with no end in sight.  Yep I did what any girl would do, I started to cry uncontrollably.  Judging by the unsympathetic faces in line this sort of thing happen before.  So I went to the front of the line, after gaining some composure and asked what time they arrived.  With a straight face one guy said 4am.  So that is what time my sister and I got there the next day.  Oh did I mention I was sick, snot running, eyes watering, swollen shut SICK!! So at 4 in the morning we sat and waited, and waited and waited and waited some more because they decided they were going to have an emergency meeting and not open at 8, but at 10!!!

At this point the people arriving are desperate, so one entrepreneurial bum sold his spot in the front of the line for $200! Miranda was considering it but didn’t know how long we would be waiting inside.  They ended up not letting her come inside, so in retrospect she should have sold her spot

As the throngs of people were getting more irritable, hot and rude, a lady started freaking out.  Her daughter who was about my age was comforting her and telling her it was going to be ok.  Well the lady was hypoglycemic and had thyroid problems and was about to faint.  I gave her gum, Miranda ran and got her juice to try to raise her sugar level and we walked her out of the hot crowded line, that was more like a bull pen then a crazy.  All the while the security guards were hassling her to get back in line, and when she sat down...they yelled at her to get up, I felt like I was in a third world country.  After seven long hours a waiting, I got my passport...and it was delivered Monday.

 So word from the wise (yes that would be me) apply for your passport early to avoid what I had to go through.  Stay tuned for more adventures!

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Sponsored Links
photo by: ellieperla