Crete

Crete Travel Blog

Venetian port of Chania

After having business class ferry tickets cancelled, we boarded a smaller boat which was going to Heraklion in Crete after a brief stop in Rethymno (Crete). The sea was rough but we boarded anyway. We were seated in the back and staff were handing out 'sick-bags' as a precaustion. Should've clicked then and there that it was going to be the ride from hell!

30 minutes into the trip from Santorini to Crete, many people were sick and the first lot of 'sick-bags' had already been used. Many people were VERY vocal during their sick periods, so to distract myself I closed my eyes, placed my nose and mouth in a bag and I hummed. I breifly dozed off but my bag was firmly attached to my face, I was in position contstantly just in case - haha!! I was lucky enough to keep my food down, but most people around me weren't.

Chania
We arrived in Rethymno and made a spur of the moment decision not to continue on for another 2 hours to get to our destination. We found a hotel by the port, lost my LP guide and called it a night.

Off to Chania we went the following day. Getting lost in the little streets of this Venetian city was one of our fortes. Up this street and left at the next we managed to find our not so well labelled hotel with a windy and very narrow staircase,  'the beast' (my backpack) was lugged up.

Lots of restaurants, bars, cafes and little shops lined this Venetian port. Loads of tourists flocked the local restaurants for a taste of the local cuisine and kaltsounia (traditional Cretan sweet cheese pies) - ohhhhh they're my favourite! We visited both old and new Towns, and also people watched with a daiquiri or two at hand - haha!!

"Hello England, where are you going today?" ahhhh my favourite phrase during our stay :)

It was an amazing Island hopping adventure!

Crete