Sibley State Park

New London Travel Blog

view from Mount Tom Overlook

This was a hugely popular park today.  It was pretty warm and the beach area was quite busy.  Lots of people swimming and playing in the sand.  At the first stage, I met up with a family on bikes that were trying geocaching for the first time.  So I helped them along by explaining the sport and giving them guidance on where to look.  I think they really enjoyed it.  Afterwards, they continued biking and I took the hiking club trail.  It was the Mount Tom Trail, which made me chuckle.  It was a long hike, but a nice trail through the woods.  I only read one leg of the trail as being 0.9 miles, never thought about the rest of the trail.  All in all, it was over 3 miles.  Whoops!  Glad I brought my water!

I never saw anyone on the trail until I got to the Mount Tom overlook.

Dung beetle?
  There was a family with 5 kids, all under 10, at the overlook.  I figured they were the car parked at the parking lot, but soon I caught up to them on the trail.  I was impressed they took that many little kids hiking, but it was certainly less peaceful with them in front of me.  Soon I overtook them.  The only other thing I saw on that trail was a turkey.  I couldn’t help but wonder, why did the turkey cross the trail?

Silly me, after all the excitement of showing the new family how to geocache, I forgot to claim my Critter Card as proof I did this cache.  So after my 3 mile hike, I added another half mile to get my card.  Eventually I made it back and decided to “reward” myself with an ice cream bar from the park store.  Yum.

Dung beetle?
why did the turkey cross the trail?
why did the turkey cross the trail?
New London