Nyberg Sculptures

Vining Travel Blog

square knot

I was running low on gas so I was happy to see the town of Vining had a decent sized gas station.  I was also hot and hungry, so I got a chocolate malt.  I picked up some ice and firewood for camping tonight and then went outside to eat my malt.  Turns out there is a sculpture park next to the gas station with some crazy sculptures.  There are even a few more sculptures in town - like a giant foot with huge toes.  Nyberg began making giant sculptures as a joke for newlyweds.  You can view more sculptures by Ken Nyberg at this link and click on "sculptures".  Most of his sculptures are on display in Vining, but there are a handful in other small Minnesota towns.  Be sure to sign the guest book located inside the gas station.

I saw a blue campground sign on the highway, so I turned off looking for it.  I never did find it, but I drove through a neat area around some lakes that came to be a single lane with lake on both sides of the road.  Back up on dry land, I spotted a mother fox in the ditch with about 6 little babies - kits (I think).  They were really cute, but when I slowed down to take a picture, they all jumped up and ran for the woods.  But you hardly ever see fox on the road, and then with 6 babies at that!

cactus
cactus
park sign
park sign
kill the cockkroach!
kill the cockkroach!
watermelon
watermelon
fox with about 6 pups (kits?)
fox with about 6 pups (kits?)
Vining