Lake Maria State Park

Silver Creek Travel Blog

rare turtle crossing

Lake Maria was my last park of the day and it was starting to get dark.  As I drove in, I notice a sign - not just TURTLE crossing, but RARE turtle crossing.  As I pulled in to the parking lot by the lake, I heard a rustling in the leaves next to me.  I figured it was a squirrel.  When I got out of the car, I heard it again and looked - it was a turtle!  I watched it walk and then heard rustling in the woods - it was another turtle!  I walked to look at the lake, then over by the dock and back to the parking lot.  I saw 2 more turtles in the parking lot.  Wow!  I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many turtles in the wild before.  Or at least not where they weren’t all sitting on a log in the middle of some water.  I don’t think they were the rare turtles, but they were fun to watch!  I would have stayed longer if I didn’t have such a far drive home.  This park is definitely worth another visit!  I wonder when the best time is to come and see all the turtles?  The rare turtle is the Blanding's turtle, but I think all I saw were box turtles or painted turtles.  Still, it was very cool.

I hopped back in my car for the hour and a half drive home, happy that I was able to visit all the parks on my list.  I have now visited over 50 of the 72 Minnesota State Parks (all since last summer).

forest wildlife viewing area