Big Stone Lake State Park

Ortonville Travel Blog

first glimpse of Big Stone Lake

Big Stone Lake is just that - a big lake.  I stopped at the state park boat launch for the geocache and decided to do the hiking club trail as well.  It was a nice little hike through the woods and over to a little beach.  There was a family at the top of the hill having a picnic in the parking lot.  The trail and geocache were right up there.  I waited on the beach for a while, thinking they’d leave, but they never did.  It was amazing how many tent caterpillars were there on the beach.  I went up the hill and tried to avoid the family, but it was impossible.  The trail continued on and then went right through the group camp ground where there was a family lounging around.  I felt uncomfortable walking through yet another family, so I turned around and went back.  It was a gorgeous, sunny day, so I decided to read a book by the lake.

I decided to check out the campground and decided to stay.  There were a few open sites and I didn’t know what the parks down the road would be like, so I stayed.  It was nice.  I went to the beach to read, made a nice campfire, ate some s’mores and called it a night.

by the shore of Big Stone Lake
my campfire
deer at the park
deer at the park
Ortonville Hostels review
Campground, playground and swimming beach all nearby
Big Stone Lake State Park is divided into 2 sections, with the campground located in the southern section (9 miles south of the northern section). Th… read entire review
Ortonville