A salty dog

Playa del Carmen Travel Blog

long roads ahead

I don't know why I used this title when I was preparing this blog. It points at the Procol Harum song... Well, if it comes up :)

Today we are leaving for the round trip.
First we have to collect our car and walk the two blocks from the Hotel.
It is at Europcar. The office is so cold, the manager stores his beers in the fridge to keep them warm.
We have to wait some time for our car to be delivered and we (very important:) take the extra insurance.

We are on a holiday and decide we have lots of time. Therefor we take the touristic route to our next destination. That way we can see a lot of the country (there is this trip for, we could have been on the beach in an all-inn). Avoiding the pay-route (CUOTA) takes more time than we had expected, and we drive through at the proposed stop, to have coffe and lunch at the restaurant where the boat trip starts. We drive past Valladolid and Tizimin and around 2 we enter Rio Lagartos. Our navigator has lots of work, guiding us to the right places, I only have to drive and look for *topes* -those terrible-front-axle-killers- the speed killers, and relax. I think my wife has seen most of Mexico, more than we did:)

As we come to our destination that is at a dead end street, I park my care and we  walk to  the Isla Contoy restaurant to have our lunch.

montecarlostar says:
You should never use the free routes in Mexico, Huib! It will take much longer to get to your destination and many of those roads are not in good condition.

And yes haha you must beware of those "topes", they are annoying but some people just don't understand they have to respect speed limits :)
Posted on: Aug 12, 2010
have to be maintained
have to be maintained
TOPE ahead (with sign:)
TOPE ahead (with sign:)
monastry on our way
monastry on our way
site worth stopping (but no time)
site worth stopping (but no time)