A busy final morning

Madrid Travel Blog

I had left two tings, close together, for the final morning before heading for the airport.  The main one was the Prado and the other was the CaixaForum (sic) with its vertical garden. I have done two reviews on the later places so I will confine myself to the Prado here. Even without advice I should have realised instantly that it would be madness to try to see everything. However I had been advised by a friend that the paintings by Velasquez and the 'black paintings' by Goya would be enough. They were.

I had heard so much about 'Las Meninas' and seen enough on TV to mke it feel like finally meeting an old friend, whose photo I had seen; not so other works of Velasquez. I particularly liked 'The Drinkers' and 'The Spinners'. The last I had never seen before and I bought a print to take home.

As for Goya's black paintings, I cannot claim that I enjoyed seeing them. I should be astonished if Goya expected any such reaction. In general I reckon I could manage the rest of my life without looking at children being eaten! However I was entralled by the sheer power of these works and no way do I regret having seen them.

'The rest is history,' as they say. Light lunch, metro, airport, home. I had no time to look at the celebrated terminal 4 at the airport but there was a distant view of it from the plane.

Glynnes says:
Well done. This is a great blog. Thanks!
Posted on: Jul 31, 2010