Getting the basics right

Madrid Travel Blog

Sculptures 1
I have gradually accepted that in a city with a lot of choice about sights, it has to be a good idea to use tourist buses first to get the overall picture.
There are two routes in Madrid for the buses travelling with the name of 'Madrid Vision', one for the historic city and the other looking at the modern city. As in many other cities, the buses are open topped and have plug-in headphones that give a commentary in your chosen language. A ticket allows you to get on and off as you wish on either route and full information can be found through http://www.madridvision.es/en/rutas.php.

I got on to the historical route at the Plaza de Cibeles. There were times when I felt very moved to get off.
Sculptures 2
Among other places it is difficult to just drift past the Temple of Debod, the Royal Palace and the Prado but I stuck to my plan until I could change conveniently to the other route near the Fuente de Neptuno (Neptune's Fountain). I must admit I found this route less interesting and soon decided to get off at Madrid's Open Air Sculpture area. It has to be a good idea to have works by great sculptors free for everyone to see them and I am glad that I decided to do so but I live in Yorkshire, where the Yorkshire sculpture Park has henry Moore's and barbara Hepworth's works in profusion in a lovely setting. I think I am a bit spoilt!

The I walked to one of the places I ejoyed most of all - the Museo Sorolla. This is the house where the artist, joachin Sorolla lived and worked and his studio is still much as he left it in !932, when he died.
Sculptures 3
I have yet to meet anybody who has been to this museum who does not rave about it. He has been described as 'The Master of Light,' I think with some justice. He has also been called 'The Spanish Impressionist,' which I don't see at all. I love Impressionist painting; I love Sorolla's painting - but they are two different loves.

I had left a lot for the next day but I decided it was too much and that I should incorporate a visit to the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza today. I had been advised t to attempt to see more than a fraction of what was on view at the Prado but that the Thyssen could be taken as a whole. In retrospect I think the former advice should hae been applied to both. The Thyssen is great but I was overwhelmed bythe number of paintings on exhibit and consequently I remember little of it.
Sculptures 4

By this time I was pretty shattered and made my way back to the Hostal Splendid. This time I went to the tapas bar of El Tigre. In England I am very wary of going into a bar where all the clientele is much younger than me. I have encountered some very hostile and rude reactions. I wondered about going into El Tigre but it could not have been more different - it was almost embarassing. There were very few chairs for the throng of people but I was instantly provided with one. 'Sit he old gimmer down and shut him up!' I feel you thinking. Far from it. A number of people of both sexes went out of their way to speak to me.

A good day out but the next one needed far more walking around if I was to have a day out - and I'm not that good at cities without a break.
Glynnes says: