Visiting the temples in Angkor Wat

Siem Reap Travel Blog

The temples weren't quite walking distance from the hostel, so my options were hire a bicycle (I'm just about surviving in this heat, I think this option may have pushed me over the edge) or hire a tuk-tuk and driver for the day. So I splashed out and opted for the tuk-tuk driver. It was an early start to get to the first temple, and already busy. It was amazing to see how much remains of the temples, it took over 7 hours to see (and this was just the short tour). A few years ago I had been to Egypt to see the Valley of the Kings and was disappointed to see how commercial it was - Angkor Wat was the complete opposite, and far succeed my expectations.. although by the end of the day the locals trying to sell me silk scarves and bracelets did start to wear a bit thin. Saying that I did end up getting 5 lovely bracelets for 1$, who can turn down such a bargain!

I went back for sunset, and just as I got to the top of the temple, a slow rumble of thunder began. I watched the clouds darken, and then in the distance saw lightening. I decided it was best to head back down, just missing the sunset (the stairs are extremely steep, and didn't fancy attempting them in the rain with a barrage of people). Just as I reached my tuk-tuk driver it poured it down.
Siem Reap