AfricaGhanaAccra

Akwaaba!!!!

Accra Travel Blog

Whew!!! What a day! I can't believe that I have finally been able to return. Everything seems so familiar. I've enjoyed watching the rest of the girls in our group experience everything for the first time.

After arriving at the airport we started our day. First, we visited the Ghana National Museum. It was different to go this time and have the background and experience. I love learning more about the country that we will be spending the month in. Our group then continued to the Kwame Nkrumah Park/Museum. The first president of Ghana was buried there. He has been said to have great impact on the people of Ghana. His monument symbolizes two different things: a tree with the top cut off (to show his unfinished works) and the top of a sword sticking out of the ground (symbolizing he is resting at peace- sword in the ground.)

We then went to the Osu. There is a food court where we at pizza, which is an amusing first meal. The Osu shopping district is our first experience with bargaining. I did not buy anything yet. I was enjoying taking it all in. It did not seem as overwhelming as last time. Also, I noticed that I was able to understand everyone. Last time I struggled understanding their English though the accents.

After exploring Osu, it was time to finally make it to our hotel. When we stay in the capital for the first few days and the last few days we stay at a nicer place. Jenn and my room was not ready yet, so I hung out/crashed in one of the other rooms. We had supper here at the hotel. It was great traditional Ghanaian food. I was a little disappointed to not have plantains yet. Though, our guide said that we can ask for certain things for lunch tomorrow...and you know what I will say!

Well, it's been a long day! I'm going to attempt to go to sleep in a little. Tomorrow is going to be an early day. We will be visiting the parliament house and then W.E.B. Dubois home in the morning. In the evening we will meet with the university students at the church down the street. Last time we were here we sat in on a bible study the were having discussing some of Paul's actions. This was interesting because the students also follow american current events....so we have good conversations all around!

Good Night to all :-)
clblevins84 says:
I got my plantains....twice today :-)
Posted on: Jul 09, 2010
jaredrice says:
You won't be happy sans-plantains.
Posted on: Jul 08, 2010