Saturday nights in Manizales

Manizales Travel Blog

View from Chipre in Manizales

Saturday in Manizales was pretty low-key during the day.  I went to Cable Plaza with my roomates so one of them could find new Converse All-Stars, since his current pair had fallen apart somewhere between Quito and Manizales.  He found a pair, but he sure had to pay for them, nearly $70 USD for shoes that cost less than half that in the US and UK last time any of us could remember.

The rest of the day was rather low-key.  We took a taxi to Chipre, the highest point within the city.  There, one can get 360 views - one side is the city, and the other side is all farm land!  We explored the park, which had a bizare statue that was supposed to represent the founding of Manizales (I think).

Statues at the top of Chipre
  At the top of the peak, the founder blazed on, as he pulled other people and animals out of the "mud" at the bottom of the peak, representing a vast struggle against nature and other forces.  I suppose that is appropriate considering Manizales was founded by settlers looking for isolation from the civil war and after the multiple devistating earthquakes that they had to endure.  After this, we stopped at one of the eateries along the boardwalk and got a pizza...which wasn't bad for Colombia!

We headed back to the hostel and I took a nap, and woke up in time for dinner.  I was feeling very lazy, so I walked to the local grocery store, Carulla, and got some prepared potato salad.  I was going to need lots and lots of carbs to soak up what was yet to come that night.

Around 10:30pm, a large group of us from the hostel headed back up the hill to the Cable Plaza area.  This group included a Russian/Colombian girl from Bogota, two English dudes, a German and an Irishman...and me, the lone American.  Our first stop was the club that we had been to the night before.  The girl negotiated getting us out of paying the cover, based on the size of our group...and it actually worked, despite the fact that we were 5:1 guy/girl.  Anyway, the club was even more packed and crazy than the previous night.  We ordered a bottle of Ron de Caldas, a bottle of Crystal, several cokes and redbulls and one beer.  Total came to about 90.000 COP, which is about $45 US.

Manizales = postcard town :)
..the same at a club in the states would easily run about $200.

Once the rum and aguardiente were finished, the girl rounded us all up and said we were going elsewhere.  So we hopped into two taxis, with hers leading the way.  None of us had any idea where we were going, except that she said it was a place that would be open until sunrise.  As the taxis pulled into a dirt road that led up a mountain side, someone blurted out "oh shit, we're all going to die."

But it was not to be, as a large house-type building called Bar C came into view, with loads of people hanging out on the porches, in the yard and live music coming from inside.  We paid the $5.000 cover (about $2.50 US) and entered to find a rather good band playing covers of Colombian pop and ska, as well as some English laguage covers, such as "I Will Survive."  After the band was done, a DJ began spinning, until next thing we knew, it was 5am.  We went outside to socialize with the drunken Colombians once again, until the sun started to come up.

I don't know how I did it, considering I never do that at home...but there's something about being in Colombia with all of the happy Colombians that keeps you going.

Saturday night in Manizales