Spicy Thai Backpackers

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Spicy Thai

I ended up getting an overnight bus to Chiang Mia. I'd bought the ticket from an Israeli travel agents (the cheapest place) so as a consequence was the only person on the bus who couldn't speak hebrew.

At some stage on the journey we stopped for food. I was faced with little watery bowls of rice and a selection of plates pre-loaded with different combinations: bacon and egg, chicken and onion, pork strips and sausage. I figured it must be do-it-yourself food so got a bowl of rice, threw some pork in, a little chilli for flavour and then went to my seat.

This was when I discovered what rice-pudding with pork and chilli in tastes like. Not so good.

From the centre of Chiang Mai I took a tuk-tuk to Spicy hostel.

Yeah man
Unfortunately the driver didn't know where it was so it took a good while to get there. Worth it in the end though. It's a nice relaxed hostel with features such as the fridge of honesty (just tell us what you drank) and quite a sociable place.

I met a few good people - Dutch. German, Argentinian, Basque and Irish and we spent the days watching films and aimlessly wandering around temples.

At some stage we went for a group two hour massage. It was only after we'd negotiated the discount that I read the pamphlet and discovered that the massage place set up to provide jobs for ex-cons. Suddenly I wasn't as relaxed as my mind kept wondering what the old lag rubbing me had done to go inside.

Soon enough I got the idea that what ever it was, it probably involved a man getting hurt.

At one point in the massage they put their hands in the crease of your thighs and lean into you.

Lovely flower
Unfortunately a certain body part had wandered to the side, meaning that the woman effectively used half her bodyweight to squish my penis iagainst my thigh.

Rather than create a scene I tacitly took the pain.

Later it progressed to a herbal ball massage. Not as pleasurable as it sounds, this involves a hot,wet bag of herbs being splatted down on your body numerous times. This time I wasn't so quiet when she smashed her herbs-sack onto my bollock. Aside from the genital pain it was a very relaxing experience.

It rained heavily most of the time in Chang Mai so my activities were curtailed somewhat; I endud up watching a lot of movies, wandering around the night market (after the Muy Thai Boxing was rained off), visiting the Reggae bar and, of course, St Patrick's Day.

Tuk-tuk ride

A group of us went to the UN bar - the town's main pretend Irish bar to celebrate. The night involved a lot less amusing green headwear than a standard Paddy's Day, no guinness, but plenty of ear-molesting Irish folk tunes.

We then moved on to a local club, awash with warnings that you shouldn't 'take drink from stranger, especially a woman or a gay.' Also a polite reminder not to have sex with kids. Seemed like a decent enough place...

The night descended into drink and dancing - with a mysterious Thai pensioner appearing at some stage in most people's photos. I think I had a good time, but woke up the next morning feeling like a herd of Wildebeest had trampled over my head, with one circling back to crap in my mouth. Awesome. Time for a 3 day trip to Laos.

Chiang Mai