More Floripa...

Florianopolis Travel Blog

Boats!

The hostel was not a ‘party hostel’ as such, but it seemed that everyone pretty much hung around together and did the same thing. I headed down to the beach with the rest of the Urban Cookie Collective for a day of sunbathing, drinking and watching the finals of a surfing competition.

The evening’s festivities were a local Samba night. I’d never been that into the Lion King, but thought I’d go down anyway, along with 30 or 40 other members of the Red Hand Gang.

The transport rocked up - an old American style schoolbus. Inside the bus there had been a few modifications: Disco ball, flashing lights, internal speakers and the seats had been ripped out and replaced with five sofas against the sides.

The final modification meant that only ten lucky punters got a seat.

Blazin' Squad
The rest of us had to squash in, push our hands against the ceiling to provide some sort of anchor then relax to the sounds of pumping techno as the party (death) bus made its way into town.

It was almost possible to dance to some of the slower Samba tunes and after a while you got used to being bounced into by spinning swivel-hipped couplets of locals. Top night.

Me and about ten of the More Fire Crew decided to go for a boat trip across the nearby lake to see a waterfall. Inspired.

After a bit of negotiation by the docks we had our own boat to take us.

As soon as the boat had started on its way then the captain ‘rolled up a fat one’ as I believe the kids say, and was then ‘straight blazing’ until we reached the other side of the lake.

Small waterfall
Transport in Floripa was unconventional.

The Lonely Planet sums it up well: “The waterfall is a bit shit. Nice prawns in the nearby restaurant though.”

I had been steadily sinking beers all day, so by the time night fell I was fairly merry. I went down to a local Jazz night, but by the time I got there just wanted to eat a kebab then pass out. The Jazz was smooth, I seem to recall.

The next day we attempted to rent mopeds, failed spectacularly and ended up going to the local shopping centre to replenish my book supply (they’re like gold-dust in a Spanish speaking country that has loads of 24 hour bus journeys). And a bit more sunbathing.

Blazin Squad