Machu Picchu

Cusco Travel Blog

Made it!

Up at 4.a.m, ready at the bottom of the steps at 5.a.m, one hour to reach the top and beat the first mini bus. It was raining lightly and we set off at a fair pace. By the time I was halfway up my lungs were bursting and my leg muscles almost paralysed. I had to stop a couple of times, but still made it to the summit faster than the evil minibus. I got my permit for Waynu Picchu, but wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to make it.

The Inca ruins at Macchu Picchu were incredible. The first modern wonder of the world I’ve seen and well worth the sandfly bites, chundering, aching legs and battered lungs.

I wanted to see the sun-gate and hiked off towards it; a lot further than expected, the same altitude as Waynu (although a lot less steep). This was an incredible view, but drained my last vestiges of energy. I wasn’t walking any further unless it was in a downward direction.

Back into town for drinks and food, a little bit of trouble with the tickets home (I had to get Fidel to fax it through to a restaurant) then back by train then bus to Cusco, hot water and sleep.

Cusco