Iguassu Falls! - Puerto Iguazu - Marco Polo Hostel

Puerto Iguazu Travel Blog

Fingering a butterfly

The bus ride was what I’d come to expect from Pluma - stops every three hours for pasties and toilets so not a lot of sleep. I was also unfortunate enough to be sat next to a freakishly large woman who kept catching me with her size 12 high-heeled Air Max’s, when she wasn’t cracking her immense knuckles.

To my other side was some I-am-Gaia twat: Dreads, parachute pants and a penchant for tapping out bongo rhythms on the chair.

When I arrived in Foz I had to get a local bus across the border to Puerto Igazzu where thankfully my hostel was right next to the bus terminal.

I checked into Marco Polo, slightly suspicious of the number of French accents that I could hear (the hostel had been recommended by Frenchster. Apparently the French language guide book has different hostels in than Lonely Planet, leading to small French ghettos.

Please God, no!…).

After the bongo-knuckle journey I needed my sleep. So I slept.

To my dismay I found that my shower-gel had blown it’s load all over the inside of my rucksack, making a lot of things sticky. The only worrying one was my camera charger that didn’t appear to be working properly.

I rinsed out the charger and left it to dry overnight so it would be ready for my trip to the waterfall the next day. I then headed out with a Parisienne couple and a Swiss guy to the local Parilla to eat a kilogram of assorted meat and a tiny spoonful of salad, finishing the night with a few games of ‘ ‘ead of sheet’ or ‘shithead’ as I understand we call the game in England.

In the morning I had a vison. I thought, ‘I bet this camera charger is still a bit damp and will blow up if I plug it in now’.

The tubby lad is loving it...
I was just as correct as I was foolish, resulting in a small explosion and a camera that didn’t work. Tits.

Luckily I’d met two Norwegian girls who said I could use their cameras to take a few photos so the day was saved!

Igassu is a short bus journey from the main terminal, a fairly chunky entrance fee of 75 Argentinean Pesos for gringos and then you are in the park. From here its walking or the free 5 km/h train to see various smaller waterfalls and the big one - the devil’s throat.

The area has a lot of wildlife - unstripey raccoon things (not the scientific name), lizards and butterflies.

Quite early on in the day I managed to accidentally cover myself in banana as I was trying to lure a lizard toward me. It happens. The lizard wasn’t that interested, but the butterflies were - soon I had them regularly landing on me to lick the fruity goodness off my skin.

Devil's Throat
At one stage I had a pet butterfly for ten minutes; it sat on my hand and then if I blew it would fly in a little loop before returning to perch on my finger.

After furry things, butterflies, strolling, slow train journeys and a good few waterfalls we finally ended up at the Devil’s Throat.

Awe inspiring.

Well worth going.

Went out for a few drinks that night, one of the highlights being a little old man wandering around with a handful of clay and a persistent sales technique.

"Hello friends, I make your face of clay for ten dollars?"

"No gracias"

"I can do your nose."

(Why?) "No gracias"

"You are English. In England can you have a clay face?"

"No.."

"OK. So I make you clay face to take to England..."

"No gracias"

"Maybe all three faces together?"

"No gracias..."

...etc

Next stop Paraguay to buy a camera charger at their legendary (ish) electronics markets.

Devils Throat