Arequipa - Tripping my tits off on snake venom

Arequipa Travel Blog

"CHEEEEEEEEEEE-va!!!!"

The next few days were massively unpleasant. Possibly due to the snake venom, definitely due to the dehydration and malnutrition, probably not helped by the solitude, I suffered waking nightmares and feverish dreams.

Demons of the past and angels of the present fought to take over my thoughts, all the while with Spanish bongo music and a grinning hirsute maniac shouting ‘CHEEEEEEE-va’ drifting in and out of my consciousness.

At some stage I had an Ephiphany (or a minor psychotic break)

Quando sono solo
sogno all'orizzonte
e mancan le parole
si lo so che non c'e luce
in una stanza quando manca il sole

But the question still remained; was the light like that of a fire, which needs me to tend it as much as I need its flame, or like the sun - such that I can gaze upon its beauty, or bask in its warmth from time to time, but it will never be mine?

I suspect that over the last couple of years I may have been pissing on fires and chasing the sun. Maybe time to trade in the butterfly net for a bag of coals.

All that bollocks aside, the main moral of the story is don’t get bitten by snakes, kids. They fuck you right up.

After a couple of days tripping, I booked into another hostel that served food. On the third day when I woke up with a massive hangover, having played drinking games with a Welsh couple until five in the morning, I realized I was probably well enough to continue to Puno.

andrejav says:
Monty Phyton comes to mind with their episode of "tiger bite" that brave officer did not even feel...
How come you did not feel that bite, you insensitive Brit :)
Posted on: Aug 04, 2011
CHEEEEEEEEEEE-va!!!!
"CHEEEEEEEEEEE-va!!!!"
I just quite like this picture, so…
I just quite like this picture, s…
Arequipa