Arequipa Travel Blog

Arequipa

So… Arequipa. The bus journey there was memorable for the wrong reasons. About an hour into the journey then a strange bubbling noise came from the seat behind me and something splashed in my hair; a mixture of denial/hope led me to believe that an over agitated bottle of coke had been opened. It hadn’t.

The fat cholo behind me had been feeling ill and rather than go to the bathroom had chundered into their cupped palms, the exit force leading leading splashes to pepper up over the chair and shower my hair. Lovely.

The overflow had gone onto the floor and wasn’t cleaned up so the rest of the journey was somewhat marred by the stench of vomit. Only twelve hours though.

Most likely as a consequence of the vomit-spraying I had developed a bad stomach by the time I got to Arequipa so didn’t get up to too much.

Oh - did my other toe as well...

Higlights were visiting a budget Casino to play electronic roulette; I lost about 20 soles overall but got a good helping of free drinks and sarnies.

I also saw one of the most surreal things I’d seen for a while. I was eating lunch on a balcony overlooking the plaza when I heard the haunting strains of ‘Barbie Girl’ floating on the wind.

As it got closer and louder I saw the source. A bin lorry drove past, with workers hanging off the back waving and speakers tied to the roof. God only knows why.

I went back to the Point hostel for a couple of days and met a couple of characters. In a conversation with an american dude who worked the bar the following gems came up;

‘I guess I have an aversion to serious relationships… on the other hand I don’t do casual sex - it’s something of an oxymoron really. I guess that’s why I’ve had to learn to love masturbating’

‘The truth will set you free… then after a while it’ll probably just start to piss you off.’

The other bartender was so English it seemed like he’d been stolen from the film Notting Hill. There was a rumour that if he donned glasses he would look like Harry Potter, if he wore a suit he’d be James Bond. That’s English.

A couple of nights playing Jenga for shots, a couple of hangovers and I decided to head to Lima to catch up with Miami.

photo by: halilee