AsiaJapanTokyo

What to See

Tokyo Travel Blog

Because I get so many messages asking what the best sites/things to do in Tokyo are, I figured I'd list them here because I get behind in replying to them all.

Shinjuku: skyscrapers, good food, loads of shopping and even more people. Go to the top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building for a free view of the city

Harajuku: Really good place to people watch (the freaks are in full swing here) and shop. Make sure to go down Takeshita-doori and also to check out Meiji-Jingu temple that's surprisingly peaceful and tucked away.

Asakusa: Beautiful temple. If you go during the day, there's a row of shops/vendors leading up to the temple with souveneirs and snacks.

Tsukiji Market: Visit this place EARLY. My mom and I arrived at about 6am because we weren't very interested in seeing the tuna auction (starts at 4am I think). It's hectic and confusing, just be aware that though it's a "tourist spot" it's still where these people make a living. Be courteous. BEST SUSHI OF MY LIFE HERE. Go to the surrounding restaurants within the complex and remember- the smaller the place, usually the better.

Roppongi: Other than the Roppongi Hills shopping mall, this place is best known for its nightlife. It's safe to say that my friends and I have made a trek to Roppongi atleast once a week since we've been here. Feria's foreigner-infested, Club Lex is where the celebrity and model set go, ALife is a great place with 95% Japanese people, and Vanity is up on the 13th floor with AMAZING views of the city.

Ueno Park/Zoo: Never been to the zoo, but the park itself is quite pretty. There's a row of those red gate-looking things- I can't think of the English word for it and can't be bothered to look it up- which makes for a good picture spot.

Shibuya: Where the youngin's go to shop and eat. There's LOADS of international retailers as well as Japanese-specific brands. If you're willing to brave the crowds and endure Japanese salesgirls shrieking, check out Shibuya 109 for amazing (but expensive) clothes/accessories/shoes.

Yokohama: Technically a separate city, but is only a 30 minute train ride away from Shinjuku. Yokohama is an AMAZINGLY clean city than is very well looked after. Go to Chinatown for amazing food.

Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea: I had to include this because I'm obsessed with anything Disney. While Disneyland is pretty much the same layout as it's American prototype, DisneySea is a BEAUTIFUL place kind of more geared for adults to enjoy. Don't worry.... they still have the churros. If you're willing to be adventurous (which I am not), try the soysauce AND butter (yes, this is ONE flavor) popcorn.

Tokyo