The search for postcards on Istiklal

Istanbul Travel Blog

Chaos in Istanbul

Again be warned do not leave buying postcards to the last minute.  Again I found myself in a situation where I had not sent myself a postcard.  I had been keeping my eye open, looking for them as we perused the streets but I found that they were dusty, sun battered and not very interesting.  Instead I had this idea that I would find more artistic postcards in a book shop.  So off we went on Istiklal at 9am in the morning looking high and low for interesting postcards.

We looked along the side streets and attempted a few small book stores with no luck.  Eventually we came across a media store.  Multi levels of music, DVD's, magazines and books.  They had two packs of very artistic postcards.  One pack with scenic photos and the other with cultural photos.  I wanted a mixed selection.  They were charging 20TL for each pack.

I continued the search to see what else was on offer.  Eventually I found a stationary, come book shop, come brick and brac shop that had a massive collection.  I sifted through and got about 5 different ones for 3.50TL.  The next hurdle was not to find the post office.  The lady in the shop pointed me the the direction of the closest PTT with a yellow sign.  It was 200m down the road.  Monday morning and of course it is busy and super slow.  I waited 15mins before I was served.  At least there was air conditioning.  5 stamps, combination of European and Australian 4TL.  Great.  I gave them to Mehmet at the hotel to post them for me.

Our bus for the airport left Taksim sq at every half hour.  We got to the bus stop for 12.15pm.  No traffic or any dramas except that once we got out of the city the rained started to pour down.  Well at least we are leaving.

I forgot how expensive airport food was.  16.95TL for a KFC, McDonalds or a Pizza hut meal.  That is like twice the price of a meal in London.  Rip off.  If you can bare it don't eat there bring your own snacks.  Don't bother buying water for the plane as there is another security check before boarding and no liquids are allowed in.

photo by: Memo