Venice to Ancona

Ancona Travel Blog

Woke up, breakfast, checked out, and stored the bags.  Our train to Ancona was due to leave at 1544 so we headed back into Venice for a last look.

We wandered past the train station and towards the Cannaregio area.  Visit Church St. Geremia e Lucia or St. Lucy's Church the patron saint of the blind and protector of eyesight.  We moved deeper and deeper into the residential areas and getting lost by crossing and recrossing canals.

For lunch we found one of the culinary highlights of the trip.  We stumbled onto a neighborhood eatery, no doubt about that as it was filled with locals.   A nice lady found us a table and was patient as we tried to order an mangled the Italian pronunciation of the menu items.   Five stars for  Ristorante Al Mariner ( 2679, Cannaregio, Venezia, VE 30121)  This time I agree with the reviewer because I reviewed it!!! I can't get a specific URL for my review looks like one must find the place on Google Maps first so I'll post the review below and have also given the address aboveo:

"If I'm lucky enough to come back to Venice I'll be sure to visit Al Mariner again.

It was everything a guidebook to Venice tells you to look for when trying to eat well in Venice away from the restaurants mostly catering to tourists in the expensive and popular areas.
When we walked in the place was full of locals having lunch but it is tourist friendly. Great selection on the menu and everyone in the family was happy with the food."

After lunch it was time to return to the hotel and pick up our bags.  Fortunately our passes were still valid for the vaporetto ride.  It ran out before we could catch the bus but bus tickets to Mestre were only 1.40.

The train ride was supposed to take a little over four hours (direct via Bologna) but we ended up being a half hour late.   We tried calling Gio to warn him we would be late with no luck.   Gio is a friend of mine I met through the The Blitz game club and we both have a passion for the old but good Campaign Series, a World War II simulation game.
Church in old town by Osteria Yasmine
   I told Gio we were thinking of traveling to Italy this Summer and he said it would be great if we could stop by and see a little bit of Le Marche.    We were met at the station by Gio and his son Davide but had too many bags so took our own taxi to NH Ancona located on top of a hill with great views of Ancona.   The reviews at the link are a mix of bad and good but all in all the room was good and breakfast in the morning was OK.   Truth be told we didn't spend much time in the hotel besides sleeping.

Gio drove us to take a quick look at the view from the Duomo San Ciriaco and the boys getting out and running around instead of enjoying the view disturbed on couple trying to get some privacy.  Next stop was for dinner at the nice Osteria Yasmine.  Good pizza here.   The bad review in Italian at the link complains about ruining a historical building with a low cost canteen but does say the pizza is "discreet, service good, and prices reasonable".    After dinner my first introduction to grappa, the grape based brandy used as a digestive drink.

Many of the buildings in this area are the results of years of building, fires and disasters and rebuilding in a different style or filling in doorways and windows, adding and removing columns and facades.

Church in old town by Osteria Yasm…
Church in old town by Osteria Yas…
Ancona Hotels & Accommodations review
Hotel web site says that it is centrally located and close to shopping but remember that the great view from this hotel means that it is on top of a h… read entire review
photo by: roman1607