Second day in Venice

Venice Travel Blog

Doge's Palace
   Overcast skies and some drizzle as we board the bus and as we cross the causeway it starts raining.  Right before the bus reaches the terminus a downpour.   There was some light rain yesterday so we had umbrellas and Ray had a cheap poncho.  We rushed over to the vaporetto stand and took the boat to San Marco.

The rain probably helped in that the lines for tickets at the Doge's Palace were not long.  At first it looked like a nightmare but it was only a bunch of tour groups seeking shelter in the arcade.  This place was a highlight of our trip.  I loved the map room.   Lot's of beautiful art and architecture.   We sat a while in the Hall of the Grand Council  taking it all in.
Courtyard Doge's Palace

Next lunch.  I don't have the receipt and since the restaurant was down an alley, across a bridge, and down another alley I doubt I'll be able to find it on a map.   Lunch was nice, the boys having pizza and we continue to try different types of pasta.    At this restaurant our first experience with Italian sinks.   Ray's first attempt to wash his hands was unsuccessful. Michael went to look and the "tap" for the sink is a foot pedal with a red and blue tab for hot and cold water.    During the trip I also noticed that a lot of restaurants and facilities still have the old style squat toilets on the floor.

After lunch we braved the long line outside of San Marco Basilica.   There was some rain and wind and we waited almost an hour but the wait was well worthwhile.

We decided to walk back through San Polo district on the west side of the Grand Canal.
On the way to lunch
   Down one alley / road a restaurant had set up a television on the sidewalk showing the Italy / New Zealand world cup game.  The boys and I stood in the road and watched the last fifteen minutes while Michiyo looked at some stores.   The game was tied and ended that way.   I guess the Italians were already resigned to their team not doing so well in the World Cup, only a few "mama mia's" and only one Italian quietly ranting to himself about the team's performance.

After the game we ate at the restaurant, Bar Pizzeria Da Sandro.  Good place.   They own a place across the street and if you order a pizza it comes from across the street and the folks on the pizza side will get their main dishes from the restaurant we sat in.  Good value and nice.

After dinner some walking and shopping in this area and then back to the hotel.

Doges Palace