EuropeItalyBosco

San Marino to Umbria

Bosco Travel Blog

San Leo
We spent the morning taking a last look at the town and the boys had one more look for souvenirs.  Ray had bought a tall figure of a knight but Michael was unsuccessful in finding a plaque for a good price.   It turns out that in Perugia, Florence, and Rome the plaques were a lot more expensive so he never got one.   I forgot to mention that in Venice the boys loved the carnival masks and even though Michael never found a good price for a plaque with a small shield and swords his prize souvenir from this trip was a Venetian carnival mask.   Whenever I get hold of Michiyo's photos I'll update the Venice post with pictures of the masks.

We began to make our way to Umbria.  Saw San Leo and then headed south.
San Leo tower
  Made a wrong turn somewhere and instead of heading directly for Sansepolcro down the main highway we ended up traveling the back roads east of Mount Carpegna.   This was not a problem as we were happy to head in the general direction of our goal and explore the countryside.   Some of the back roads were narrow and in some areas in bad condition but fortunately traffic was very light and we could enjoy the scenery.

Eventually we came across a main road at Belforte all'Isauro.  A map of the area was not available at the newsagent but the man there gave us directions to go south to San Angelo.   We stopped to eat at Da Valeria (Via Rossini, 3).  No Google Street view as they only drove down the Via Toscana part of the east - west highway.  We had a real communication issue here as there was no menu, just the waitress telling us what was available for the day.
da Valeria
   We could order our pasta easily enough but the main dishes were a guess. We ended up with two beef dishes, one stewed with potatoes (I thought a steak type dish with fries) and the other in a spicy sauce.    Michiyo noticed that in this town only the men seemed to go out for lunch.

Back into the car and on our way to San Angelo.   I guess Belforte began as a small fortification guarding a bridge over the river and the old buildings are still standing watch over the crossing.   The road was very narrow over the hill but we were soon  in San Angelo then on the main highway from Urbina to Sansepolcro.   This was a beautiful drive and I wished we had time to spend hours in every town we passed through.

We eventually got on the freeway south towards Perugia and pulled off at Ponte Felcino.   The map on the I-Phone told us that our hotel was on the west bank of the Tevere River.
Buildings on the Belforte all'Isauro end of the bridge
   At first I thought I made a horrible mistake in booking the hotel as the area in which we were searching was a residential area filled with small apartment building and hostile dogs.  I called the hotel and was told to go back towards the freeway and head towards Ramazzano village.    We did so and arrived at the Relais San Clemente.  I agree with all the positive reviews at the link.  For the next three nights the Relais served its purpose as a relaxing base from which to explore Umbria.

During the afternoon the boys had a break and swam in the pool and Michiyo drove back to Ponte Felcino and found a laundromat and cleaned a much needed load of clothes.  That night we ate at the hotel's restaurant.   The food was excellent and the waiter very nice.

da Valeria
Buildings on the Belforte allIsau…
Buildings on the Belforte all'Isa…
Bosco