On the way!

San Francisco Travel Blog

We are home safe and sound and hope everyone enjoys this blog.  I'll try to keep our "slide show" interesting and will endeavor to describe at a minimum a day of our travels daily.

A lot of research for this trip was done on various internet sites but I also decided to splurge on a few guide books.  I remembered Rick Steve's Europe Through The Backdoor from the 80's and it seems he has his own small travel empire now.  I purchased his Paris and Italy guidebooks.
The colored maps are handy, especially the metro one and I do like how he splits the sites in self guided walks.  Also very good is his Daily Reminder in which he lists all the sites that are closed or days they are especially crowded.    Quite a few Americans can be spotted toting around the blue guidebooks.  A big recommendation is to view the message boards on Rick's website.  It was because of his book and web postings that I learned about the wedding ring and "do you speak English?" scams.

I also purchased a used copy of the excellent Eyewitness Guide to Paris .  My edition was from 1993 but that is OK.  In the age of the Internet and Traveladvisor I don't really need hotel and restaurant recommendations in my guidebook but like an explanation of the history and sites.  I love the Eyewitness illustrated street maps.   I found I used the Eyewitness guides a lot more for general site and historical information than Stevo's particular recommendations for restaurants and shopping.

Left the car at the long term parking and checked in for Air France Flight 83.

The direct flight from SFO to Paris was a little extra than other flights, especially one that connected in Charlotte, NC but I figured it would be worth it.    No chance of a missed connection and in 10 and 1/2 hours we would be in Paris.  Couldn't sleep.   Food was very good even though we were in economy class.  Probably the best airline food I've had in all my years of flying.