EuropeNorwayFlam

I think we've spent more time in transit than we have in non-transit!

Flam Travel Blog

rainbow!

Oh my jetlag is not getting better! I keep sleeping during the days, and staying awake at night. I hope to break that habit tonight!

Today we took a 5 hour train from Oslo to Myrdal, where we transited to the Flam Railway (a nice old wooden train that loops through the mountains) to Flam (1 hour). It stops by this ENORMOUS waterfall and they play MUSIC and a dancer comes out in the middle of the freaking waterfall on a cliff to reenact an old siren-tale! It was so cool it nearly brought tears to my eyes because it was so beautiful and so unexpected!

I took quite a bit of 10 second video that I'm hoping to piece together into a 5 minute clip.

Any pointers on how to do that without a Mac are greatly appreciated!

It's absolutely gorgeous in Norway. Whereas Oslo looks kind of like every other European city, this area is unbelievably rich and green and geologically interesting. Thanks to advice from all the travbuddies out there, particularly Christian (CFD), I am currently sitting in a not-too-crazily priced hotel at the mouth of a fjord! It's stunning and remarkable - one of those things that photos can't quite do justice to. How high the cliffs and low the clouds and pristine the water is - one must move their heads in 4 directions just to take it all in.

Once again I wanted to catch up with a nap so Andrew went off to go hike on his own. I asked him to email me from his Blackberry every 5 minutes so that I would know he was okay.

morning vistas
He's the type of person who will get eaten by animals or slip and fall down a waterfall, I swear. Luckily nothing happened to him and we enjoyed some cup-o-noodle for dinner sitting out on the terrace and watching the mist and the clouds compete for darkness-making.

In the morning, I embarrassed Andrew by putting on an Ed Hardy skirt and we went on a little hike in the morning through these insanely humongous and tilted valleys that sloped down into these agricultural farms. It was so incredible everywhere your turned and I can honestly say my eyes have never focused that far into the distance before. It was such a mental readjustment to be here, and I will never forget how majestic the earth can be.

We walked by people's houses, partly jealous that there were people on this planet that got to enjoy this view every day of their lives, and also wishing someone would spot us and invite us in for breakfast as we were getting hungry quickly.

We went to the Co-op market in the center of "town" and got fresh bread and cheeses and meats in order to save money. I bought some milk for my tea (not having caffeine when you're traveling as rapidly as we were was so difficult). This would come in handy later as the nice Lithuanian girl working in the sweater shop offered us hot cocoa but said that it was just cocoa powder, not the sugared, milky stuff we get in the states. Luckily, we had my milk, so we were able to make proper hot chocolate after she provided sugar cubes.

We had a lovely cultural exchange with her and she shared some home made Lithuanian cake with us and candy from the store, and I gave her my bag of Trader Joe's dried mixed berries which she LOVED. I was very grateful for the conversation as Andrew isn't the type to talk without being prompted and that just gets tiring and one-sided after a while. Our new Lithuanian friend provided insight into how she categorized tourists, what the Norweigan wage was, and all sorts of sophisticated things for an 18 year old! We hugged goodbye and left for our ferry ride down the fjord, which was more or less the point of the whole trip!

TRE69 says:
Jenn...you are such an ambassador! Love the pics, it looks so idyllic and serene!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2010
RJ82 says:
isnt it cool how you can strike up a conversation with strangers from around the world!
Posted on: Sep 07, 2010