EuropeNorwayOslo

Fly, fly, cruise

Oslo Travel Blog

Reunion with Rebecca!

This was my first time flying out of Newark airport. Wow, that was NOT a fun trip to get to the airport. The amount of clothes and food that I packed proved to be so vast that I had to upgrade to my medium sized luggage which meant any hope for taking public transportation to the bus to Newark was gone. The cab ride wasn't too bad at $25, but it took 35 minutes to cross the bridge to Grand Central.. the bus to Newark was 10 minutes late, and it took 30 minutes to go from Grand Central to Times Square during rush hour. Plus it smelled like poo. I made it with and hour and 40 to spare, which isn't a lot!

The flight on Iceland Express was an older plane, but comfortable and it only took 5 hours to get to Reykjavik, which for some reason the locals are pronouncing and spelling "Keflavik"?! slept a teeny bit but can't really sleep on planes.

view from the deck

Got my passport stamped (yay!) and found a smoking area in the airport thank goodness, ah civilized countries..

45 minutes to board another plane to Copenhagen which takes 3 hours. This one I slept on for an hour - whoo! Got off plane, metro was easy to find with signs everywhere, but ticket machine wouldn't take credit card kept asking for a stupid pin! Train ride 7 stops to Kongat Nytorv where we were picking up the free DFDS ferry to the ship! Didn't realize it started running at 2pm, so we had a half hour wait, which turned into 45 minutes because the crazy bus driver was 15 minutes late (UNHEARD of in Copenhagen!).

Andrew was kind enough to maneuver all the luggage and after a few false stops from the bus driver, the bus cheered when he finally found the right stop in front of the right ship =) So far I am liking the ebullient nature of the Danish.

buffet restaurant inside the ship

Went upstairs to check in and got our cabin keys (pieces of cardboard with a barcode). I am dog tired by now and out of the blue, Rebecca appears!!!!!!!!!! I am SO HAPPY. She was my sanity in CAR and she was kind enough to come and visit with me in NY when she was there despite the fact that she had tons of people vying for her time during her 3 days there. Caught up with her, gave her some goods she requested, and yelled at some asshole for touching her hair. (What in the world?!) Said our goodbyes as we were about to board and made a date for dinner when we return after the fjords!

Boat was full of bitches. I won't even go into it, but I totally got an aneurism I couldn't believe how rude some people could be. Norway/Denmark isn't a place where people say "hello", "please" or "thank you" apparently. And they love bumping into other people without apologizing. WOW.

Cruising is interesting. This is my first cruise ever and it was a bit tough getting used to the rocking and to-and-fro ing. The cabin was a 6 by 7 foot cell, I couldn't stop laughing in disbelief. Luggage barely fit inside the room with us. Poor andrew had to perch on the top bunk half the time just so I could walk around. SO happy to get off that boat, I won't do that sort of thing again! But definitely prepared me for what to expect if I ever take a real cruise. Definitely spring for more room and preferably a window if you can!

Archie1978 says:
Hehehe... Nice cruise I see ;)
Posted on: Sep 01, 2010
RJ82 says:
ah cruises are abit iffy for me also. hope you dont get motion sickness. =] hahah and the bitches comment was funny!
Posted on: Aug 27, 2010
Glynnes says:
Give JFK a try. Ha!

Glad to see you're having fun Jen.
Posted on: Aug 27, 2010