Johannesburg (unintentionally)

Johannesburg Travel Blog

City Lodge Johannesburg

I purchased my tickets way back in October of 2009 from Northwest Airlines.  Since that time Northwest's merger with Delta was completed and all my membership and flight information was transferred over to Delta.  This caused problems for me every flight of the trip since the flights were actually by KLM.  Even though my bag had been checked through to Cape Town and I had a seat assignment, I could not check in early.  The flight from Amsterdam to Cape Town was overbooked, so I ended up getting bumped.  My friends were able to fly to Cape Town as planned, but I had to make a mad dash to get on a flight leaving at the same time for Johannesburg.  Surprisingly (and thankfully) my bag made the last minute switch too and ended being there when I landed in 'Joburg'.  KLM's compensation package was pretty sweet.  They gave me 600 Euros, a calling card, a meal voucher, 2000 extra frequent flier miles and put me up in a very nice hotel in Johannesburg right at the airport.  It was amazing that they could get a room with the World Cup going on.  I actually made it to my hotel room before my friends checked in at our Cape Town hotel.  KLM booked me on an early morning flight to Cape Town on British Airways, so it was just the difference between getting there late at night on Monday versus early in the morning on Tuesday.  It really didn't end up inconveniencing me and I ended up pocketing some cash.

Tinktinkie says:
The hotel close to the airport is really nice!
Posted on: Jul 03, 2010